What's new

RT-AC5300 OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GeoS

Occasional Visitor
I'm currently on the stock firmware and have configured the Asus openvpn. I've noticed that this is limited to only my computer. So, I'm guessing none of my clients are using the openVPN? If this is true, is there anyway to enable OpenVPN for all clients or do I need to switch to the latest version of Merlin?

Thanks

I'm currently on the stock firmware and have configured the Asus openvpn. I've noticed that this is limited to only my computer. So, I'm guessing none of my clients are using the openVPN? If this is true, is there anyway to enable OpenVPN for all clients or do I need to switch to the latest version of Merlin?

Thanks
I'm a "newbee" so any help would be appreciated

Can you explain what is the intended goal? It's not clear if you are trying to remotely access your router while outside of home, or use a tunnel provider's server to hide your traffic from home to the Internet.

My goal is to set up an open vpn through the router so that all clients connecting to the router can use the vpn. I know the AC5300 has a built in PPTP vpn but when it is enabled my speeds decrease significantly. So, I wanted to set up a similar openvpn

My goal is to set up an open vpn through the router so that all clients connecting to the router can use the vpn. I know the AC5300 has a built in PPTP vpn but when it is enabled my speeds decrease significantly. So, I wanted to set up a similar openvpn

I'm sorry, but I'm still not clear as to the goal. Are those clients at home, or outside of home?

If it's at home, it makes no sense at all to have the computers at home connect to your own router with a VPN tunnel. VPN servers are meant for remote access.

Sorry for the confusion. I have wireless/wired clients at home that are connecting to the internet through the router. I want then to be able to access the internet through a vpn. I don't want to have to set up a vpn on each client and run it separately (i.e. a separate PC is used to stream movies).

Sorry for the confusion. I have wireless/wired clients at home that are connecting to the internet through the router. I want then to be able to access the internet through a vpn. I don't want to have to set up a vpn on each client and run it separately (i.e. a separate PC is used to stream movies).

then on the router you use the openvpn client. for the best results you'll want to purchase a quality VPN service. you then use the openvpn client on the router to connect to the servers of the service you purchased.

I do have an account with VyprVPN. But I don't want to have to set up on every client. Can it be setup on the router and then all clients will access internet throught router, through vpn?

Ok. Thanks! I'll take a look. I guess I completely misunderstood what the Asus openvpn was for.

The router supports both an OpenVPN server and an OpenVPN client. The guide from SmallNetBuilder explains how to configure it as a server, but in your case you need it as a client.

The router supports both an OpenVPN server and an OpenVPN client. The guide from SmallNetBuilder explains how to configure it as a server, but in your case you need it as a client.

Thanks again! Not to go off topic - is there any benefit in updating firmware to latest merlin when it comes to vpn setups?

Thanks again! Not to go off topic - is there any benefit in updating firmware to latest merlin when it comes to vpn setups?

Policy-based routing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!