What's new

RT-AC5300 or other asus routers wifi slow down after less than 24h

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

santillolu

Occasional Visitor
I have RT-AC5300 as router connected in pppoe, it is also the imesh node so the other router in my home are only AP.
It is also the one that have more connections compare to the others (AC88u, AC3100).
The firmware is 3.0.0.4.384_45149 for every router/AP
We are talking normally to have less than 40 clients in the same time
Pratically after usually less than 24h the wireless start to have problem, like slow down the speed (usually i have 500 in download and 20 in upload) to less than 50 in download and 20 in upload.
At this point in order to have normal performance, from the app in the mobile, i switch off the wifi of the RT-AC5300 and switch on and all become normal. To overcome to this problem i can try to stop the wifi at a certain time in the night, but sometimes works and sometimes not.
I have already try to check if the temperature, or the cpu are out of the normal performance, but seems running as usual, i really don't know what to do more.
Do you have any suggestion? anyone else have the same issue?

I have RT-AC5300 as router connected in pppoe, it is also the imesh node so the other router in my home are only AP.
It is also the one that have more connections compare to the others (AC88u, AC3100).
The firmware is 3.0.0.4.384_45149 for every router/AP
We are talking normally to have less than 40 clients in the same time
Pratically after usually less than 24h the wireless start to have problem, like slow down the speed (usually i have 500 in download and 20 in upload) to less than 50 in download and 20 in upload.
At this point in order to have normal performance, from the app in the mobile, i switch off the wifi of the RT-AC5300 and switch on and all become normal. To overcome to this problem i can try to stop the wifi at a certain time in the night, but sometimes works and sometimes not.
I have already try to check if the temperature, or the cpu are out of the normal performance, but seems running as usual, i really don't know what to do more.
Do you have any suggestion? anyone else have the same issue?

The 5300 is either router or AiMesh router?

The 88U and 3100 are either wired APs or wired/wireless AiMesh nodes?

Did you upload firmware to the routers and then reset them afterward before setting up your network?

I would turn off the 88U and 3100 and perform browser speedtest.net for both a wired and wireless client connected to the 5300. Does the problem return?

OE

The 5300 is either router or AiMesh router?

The 88U and 3100 are either wired APs or wired/wireless AiMesh nodes?

Did you upload firmware to the routers and then reset them afterward before setting up your network?

I would turn off the 88U and 3100 and perform browser speedtest.net for both a wired and wireless client connected to the 5300. Does the problem return?

OE
All wired
Actually the main issue is on 5300, sometimes the others didn't have problem.
Even when I restart the wifi the others are not restarting and are going as normal
Any other suggestions?
Really I don't know what to do anymore.

All wired
Actually the main issue is on 5300, sometimes the others didn't have problem.
Even when I restart the wifi the others are not restarting and are going as normal
Any other suggestions?
Really I don't know what to do anymore.

Try answering the questions.

OE

5300 is aimesh router
88U and 3100 are aimesh wired
I upload new firmware and reset the 5300, the 88u and 3100 just upload firmware.but not reset
I turned off the 88u and 3100 and by wireless problem remain, by wired I will try soon
Thanks in advance

5300 is aimesh router
88U and 3100 are aimesh wired
I upload new firmware and reset the 5300, the 88u and 3100 just upload firmware.but not reset
I turned off the 88u and 3100 and by wireless problem remain, by wired I will try soon
Thanks in advance

Good to know... you are running AiMesh with wired backhauls.

When you install AiMesh, you are suppose to add nodes that are in a factory default reset condition. So, I would first remove the nodes, reset them, and then add them again to the AiMesh. It might even be advisable to reset the router, too (again), just to start fresh.

Then the speed test results may help to narrow down the problem.

OE

When you install AiMesh, you are suppose to add nodes that are in a factory default reset condition. So, I would first remove the nodes, reset them, and then add them again to the AiMesh. It might even be advisable to reset the router, too (again), just to start fresh.

OE
88U and 3100 already before in aimesh mode with 5300 and have already this issue
I will reset and I hope will solve or will find the issue

OE
Done other test, (now internet is not good)
switched off 88U and 3100
test wifi 5300: I have 2.4ghz and 5ghz1 with one name and speed is less than 20dw and 17up.
test wifi 5300: I have also 5ghz2 this one speed good 500dw 22up
test wired, almost normal 300dw 18up
what do you suggest to check ?

Done other test, (now internet is not good)
switched off 88U and 3100
test wifi 5300: I have 2.4ghz and 5ghz1 with one name and speed is less than 20dw and 17up.
test wifi 5300: I have also 5ghz2 this one speed good 500dw 22up
test wired, almost normal 300dw 18up
what do you suggest to check ?

What sort of wireless client are you testing with?

(Did you remove, reset, and re-add the nodes?)

Normal 5300 wired and wireless (2.4 and 5.0-2) tests suggests the ISP and routing is good(?)

How is the WiFi configured? I thought the current firmware took away the second 5.0 GHz band. We need a 5300 owner to comment.

How long has the 5300 been in service? Did it ever perform well without WiFi slow down? Are there a lot of WiFi signals around you?

OE

What sort of wireless client are you testing with? IPHONE XS, IPHONE X, HP Elite book G4 and HP Elite book G5

(Did you remove, reset, and re-add the nodes?) I SWITCHED OFF THE NODES, BUT PROBLEM REMAIN IN 5300

Normal 5300 wired and wireless (2.4 and 5.0-2) tests suggests the ISP and routing is good(?) WIRED THE ROUTING IS GOOD

How is the WiFi configured? I thought the current firmware took away the second 5.0 GHz band. We need a 5300 owner to comment. WiFi configured as default 2.4 have same user as 5ghz1 and 5ghz2 another name. i also try to make for 2.4ghz and 5ghz1 "smart connect", but same result after a wile same issue

How long has the 5300 been in service? Did it ever perform well without WiFi slow down? Are there a lot of WiFi signals around you? 5300 ALMOST A YEAR, I'M NOT SURE IF BEFORE PERFORMED WELL, MAYBE NOT, I DIDN'T PAY ATTENTION TOO MUCH, BEFORE I WAS THINKING WAS THE ISP, BUT I WAS WRONG. NOT SO MANY WIFI AROUND

OE

You could temporarily setup one of the nodes as the router and test the speeds. If the 5300 is the issue, I would not expect the problem to affect a different router.

I suggest these WiFi settings, if not using Smart Connect/Auto/same SSIDs, subject to your location variations:

2.4 GHz, n-only, 20 MHz, CH 11... channels 1,6,11 at 20 MHz bandwidth do not overlap... use the least congested of these, WPA2-Personal AES.

5.0 GHz, n/ac mixed, 20/40/80 MHz, Auto, Auto, WPA2-Personal AES.

OE

Last edited:
You could temporarily setup one of the nodes as the router and test the speeds. If the 5300 is the issue, I would not expect the problem to affect a different router.

I suggest these WiFi settings, if not using Smart Connect/Auto/same SSIDs, subject to your location variations:

2.4 GHz, n-only, 20 MHz, CH 11... channels 1,6,11 at 20 MHz bandwidth do not overlap... use the least congested of these, WPA2-Personal AES.

5.0 GHz, n/ac mixed, 20/40/80 MHz, Auto, Auto, WPA2-Personal AES.

OE
Just set up, let's see later if same issue.
Looks like the 5ghz1 with problemin case later i will reset all the router, and start again without setting up aimesh

Just set up, let's see later if same issue.
Looks like the 5ghz1 with problemin case later i will reset all the router, and start again without setting up aimesh
From this afternoon start to me no stable again but only close to 5300. 88U and 3100 are working normally in wifi and wired i check is also ok.
Anyway with this setup seems last longer. I don't know if at this point to do a factory reset on 5300 and run all the rest as AP and not in Aimesh to see the result.
By the way i have a friend of mine that using a 88U (and having same issue with wifi) and i ask him to do the same set up you suggest to me, so let's see if for him is working. I hope is a firmware issue.
Strange that no other reporting the same issue
any other suggestion for my set up before i reset this 5300 and try to do only set up the PPPoE and even the DHCP server i will not set up

From this afternoon start to me no stable again but only close to 5300. 88U and 3100 are working normally in wifi and wired i check is also ok.
Anyway with this setup seems last longer. I don't know if at this point to do a factory reset on 5300 and run all the rest as AP and not in Aimesh to see the result.
By the way i have a friend of mine that using a 88U (and having same issue with wifi) and i ask him to do the same set up you suggest to me, so let's see if for him is working. I hope is a firmware issue.
Strange that no other reporting the same issue
any other suggestion for my set up before i reset this 5300 and try to do only set up the PPPoE and even the DHCP server i will not set up

I can only suggest re-installing/resetting/re-configuring the 5300 from scratch and see how it performs without any nodes. Maybe it has a marginal component.

OE

Done let's see if tomorrow still ok or not
I just keep all Auto and even wifi keep smart set up
Let see how will be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Solved" I reset all and not using Aimesh.
Put almost all automatic in 5300, 88U, 3100 so not devided between 2.4 and 5ghz
Already 2 days without any problem and speed all stable WiFi and wired
I really hope Aimesh will work properly with new firmware so I can change again using it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m having this problem. I restored the firmware plus upgraded and also tried resetting with the WPS method. WiFi on my nodes are like 10-5 mbps meanwhile I connect to the main WiFi it’s 230mbps. Which is what I’m paying for 200.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online