What's new

RT-AC5300: When WAN drops out, device unresponsive until modem powercycled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ADFHogan

Regular Contributor
I have an ASUS RT-AC5300. Initially it was running stock firmware, but then I hoped perhaps running the alternate firmware (Merlin) I might have some better luck. Still having the same problem unfortunately, and I wondered if people had any ideas how I might diagnose/debug.

The setup is presently the Asus RT-AC5300 connected to a Netgear DG834GT in modem only (PPPoE) mode. I have also tried a Linksys WAG320N as the modem, again in modem only, PPPoE mode.

The issue I'm having is that occasionally when the WAN link drops out, the RT-AC5300 becomes unreachable. You can't hit its web interface, you can't SSH into it. Often the modem will show that the ADSL link is up, but no activity is going through.

Powercycle the modem, and hey presto, the router starts responding again!

The switch is still active during this time (devices can talk to one another), and the WiFi is broadcasting, but the Android handsets in the house will refuse to use the WiFi as they can't see the internet through it.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the router would go radio silent when the WAN drops out until the modem's cycled.

Does this sound like a hardware fault, a configuration issue, or something else?

ASUS have suggested that I perform a "rescue" firmware install (Eg. totally wipe and reset to factory via rescue process). This seems... unusual... given that I got the router new out of the box. I think I'll try it next, but it still feels like a "turn it on and off again" scenario.

Incidentally, the router starts responding IMMEDIATELY after the modem is powered off.. so I'm thinking it's somehow tied to pppd or ethernet stuff, maybe?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!