What's new

RT-AC5300 Wi-Fi turns off when USB drive attached

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BillVad

New Around Here
Hello! Will this solve GT-AC5300 problems ?:
1. When you connect a 4 TB external hard drive to the USB of the router, Wi-Fi is turned off and turns on only after physical extraction.
2. In the available version of the control program, the ability to adjust the power of the radio channel is disabled. These are big problems.
3. ASUS torrent client downloader does not work under Windows. Works only through the browser.

Last edited:
1. When you connect a 4 TB external hard drive to the USB of the router, Wi-Fi is turned off and turns on only after physical extraction.
What sort of external drive is it? Does it have its own power supply?

Try a different USB cable.

What firmware are you running, exactly?

When did you start getting these problems?

Is this a new router for you?

Wrong. I'm sorry. Router model GT-AC5300. Hard drive without power supply. The router is new. Problems appeared when the hard drive was connected. The latest firmware.

Last edited:
Maybe the hard drive is drawing too much power from the router's PSU causing the WiFi to turn off. What is the make and model number of the USB drive that you are attaching?
Seagate Expansion + 4TB Drive Model (STEF4000400). Works with a laptop without problems. File system NTFS

Seagate Expansion + 4TB Drive Model (STEF4000400). Works with a laptop without problems. File system NTFS
OK that ought to work fine.

Apart from the WiFi turning off does the drive work as expected when connected to the router?

Are you sure that you are not accidentally pressing the WiFi on/off button on the front side of the router when you plug/unplug the USB cable?

OK that ought to work fine.

Apart from the WiFi turning off does the drive work as expected when connected to the router?

Are you sure that you are not accidentally pressing the WiFi on/off button on the front side of the router when you plug/unplug the USB cable?
Yes, it works great with Wi-Fi off and meets the stated specifications. Works great in torrent mode. The disc is ejected in a safe way. So either the router works with a disk without Wi-Fi, or with Wi-Fi, but without a disk. In my opinion, there is a conflict of resources. If I'm not mistaken, the router firmware is responsible for this.

Last edited:
What about toggling the WiFi on/off button on the side of the router?
Yes, it works great with Wi-Fi off and meets the stated specifications. Works great in torrent mode. The disc is ejected in a safe way. So either the router works with a disk without Wi-Fi, or with Wi-Fi, but without a disk. In my opinion, there is a conflict of resources. If I'm not mistaken, the router firmware is responsible for this. Turning on / off the WiFi button on the side of the router does not change the situation if there is a disk connected to the router, but it works as expected if there is no disk.

Turning on / off the WiFi button on the side of the router does not change the situation if there is a disk connected to the router, but it works as expected if there is no disk.
Sounds like a hardware fault as that should not be happening. I would get a replacement if I were you.

Sounds like a hardware fault as that should not be happening. I would get a replacement if I were you.
Maybe. In other forums, GT-AC5300 users faced the same problem and could not solve them. I hope ASUS will still finalize the firmware of the router and solve the problem.

Is there a current rating on the Seagate Expansion + 4TB Drive Model (STEF4000400)?

OE

May be. In other forums, GT-AC5300 users faced the same problem and could not solve them. I hope ASUS will still finalize the firmware of the router and solve the problem.
This router has been on sale for nearly four years now so I think the firmware is as final as it's going to get regarding such a basic feature. So unless this is a problem that was introduced in a very recent firmware release I wouldn't hold you breath expecting Asus to fix it.

Is there a current rating on the Seagate Expansion + 4TB Drive Model (STEF4000400)?
I couldn't see it mentioned in the spec sheets. Maybe he can find it printed on the case. But regardless, it should work as it is a USB 3 device and the router is meant to conform to USB 3 standards (including power).

I couldn't see it mentioned in the spec sheets. Maybe he can find it printed on the case. But regardless, it should work as it is a USB 3 device and the router is meant to conform to USB 3 standards (including power).

Yeah, but it's hard to know if the standard has more than one power mode implementation and what the OEM honors or dishonors.

It feels like a circuit issue.

Has the OP tried USB 2.0 Mode on the router?

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!