1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC5300 Wireless Issues

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Svenskmat, May 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Svenskmat

Svenskmat Occasional Visitor

I am running Current Version 384.17 of Merlin firmware and once or twice a week I am loosing the 5.1 network. It does not show up, reboot usually does not fix it but I need to turn the 5.1 wireless off and then back on in the professional section.

On the 2.4 Radio what channel it shows on in one the GUI does not match what channel it transmitting on.

upload_2020-5-24_11-22-7.png

It shows channel 10 but in Netspot it shows

upload_2020-5-24_11-26-32.png

upload_2020-5-24_11-27-39.png

Not sure why this happening. The router is under a month old, and I installed Merlin on the first day I used it. Can these wireless be a hardware issue?

Thanks

2. Crazy

Crazy Occasional Visitor

Is your channels on auto, if so you should try setting a channel manually and see if that fixes it.

3. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

I would suggest changing the SSID's to 8 alphanumeric characters in length with no punctuation, no spaces, no special characters, and no smiley faces either. The passwords should be 16 alphanumeric characters maximum in length with the same attributes as above too.

Use Auto for Wireless mode and use fixed control channels (1, 6, or 11 only) with a fixed bandwidth too (20MHz suggested for congested areas for the 2.4GHz band).

You may also want to test Protected Management Frames set to 'Disabled' too.

HTH. :)

jerry6 and SheikhSheikha like this.
  4. Svenskmat

Thanks for the replies

I had 2.4 G on manual channel but wanted to "play" with the auto channel again. So yes it works fine in fixed. Went back to fixed channel this afternoon and it has been solid with the channel shown on the UI matching what is actually being used.

The 5.1 Radio still stops and I have to restart it by turning it "off" applying it and then turning it "on". Is anyone else seeing this happen?

5. joe scian

joe scian Senior Member

no you probably need a factory reset and config manually from scratch

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    jerry6 likes this.
  6. Crazy

Crazy Occasional Visitor

I never had any problem with my wifi on my rt-ac5300, but I’ve always set my own channels. Only problem I have is after 4-5 days my ram usage goes to 90% and it reboots by itself later on in the day. I’m on 384.17.

7. joe scian

joe scian Senior Member

Almost certainly because you have AIProtection enabled- turn it off

Crazy likes this.
  8. SheikhSheikha

SheikhSheikha Regular Contributor

Looking at what you encounter(ed) take a look at https://www.snbforums.com/members/l-ld.24423/#info
    Go for a nuclear reset and M&M config. Reflash the firmware a few times, make sure you do a WPS NVRAM Erase). Your Asus-Merlin router will be rock solid afterwards

9. Crazy

Crazy Occasional Visitor

It might be or one of my scripts I’m running, slowly turning on off at a time to see. Thanks.

10. darkone338

darkone338 New Around Here

Had this problem within a few hours of first turning my new 5300 on. I seemed to recall a similar issue a long time back with my old router, where the advice was to turn beamforming off.
    Turned off beamforming for the 5G-1 network and havent seen the issue since (not in the last 5 days).

11. Midlevel-User

Midlevel-User Occasional Visitor

@Svenskmat -
    I have EXACTLY the same issue. Brand new router (RT-AC5300), first flash with 17, Factory reset, M&M config, etc. And my 5.1 radio either doesn’t show the SSIDs or it shows them but won’t take the PWs for them. My SSIDs are like 10-11 characters long, but they were that long with .14 and worked fine (same router version but different physical one). Also beam forming off is part of normal M&M. I have tried all combos of channels and frequencies but nothing changes. Reboot will make it work for a while and then same issues. Hoping for something small to come out here rather than formally going through full new flash, numerous reboots, M&M etc as part of nuclear reset approach . . .

12. Svenskmat

I am back.... /I had too many problems going on including bad WAN speed. so I picked up a new RT-AC5300 and returned the 1st one.. same issue on the new RT-AC5300 with loosing the 5.1.
    The WAN issue was not caused by the router but a crazy intermittent S/N issue on my cable line. They are supposed to fix it tomorrow...
    Now back to the 5.1 issue.. I will turn off the beam forming and hopefully that will fix that issue. I will let you if it corrects it... here is hoping.

13. Svenskmat

Thanks for posting this. When I picked up my replacement RT-AC5300 I did an M and M configuration and it is how I could figure out that my speed problems were not caused by the router or firmware but by a crazy intermittent on my cable line.

SheikhSheikha likes this.
  14. Svenskmat

Lost the 5.1 again. Can you post your settings for 5.1. I turned off all beam forming as you suggested. What firmware version are you on? Are you running 3 separate SSID's?

15. Svenskmat

@SheikhSheikha are you loosing 5.1 on either of your routers? What are you using for your backhaul?

16. SheikhSheikha

Nope, nothing lost on either 5GHz. My routers are Cat 6 Cabled. Both in router configuration. (No AiMesh). Set your channels to a selected channel - non DFS (and never on Auto).
    My routers are both rock solid (both on 318.17 and 18alpha)

17. Svenskmat

I will try your settings now. I lost it again already after only a few hours.
    I will let you know.

18. SheikhSheikha

19. Svenskmat

20. Svenskmat

Looks like 5.1 auto channel does not work...changed it to a manual channel and it has been up for over 12 hours without a drop.

Thanks so much!