What's new

RT-AC5300 with Aimesh Beta + RT-AC68 with Aimesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

Today I configured my AC5300 with the beta 382 version from. December and connected the AC68 with the 384 final Aimesh version, they seem to work fine together. I had some connection issues so following Merlin's advice I disabled Airtime Fairness, Mutli-User MIMO, 802.11ac and Universal Beamforming, I hope those were the correct parameters to disable, any additional feedback to optimize my setup? thanks

Last edited:
Is your ac68 a converted tm1900? I have the same setup and successfully paired the two before going to bed, then when I woke up the next day it was gone, i factory reset both routers and tried to repair them and haven't been successful since...

Is your ac68 a converted tm1900? I have the same setup and successfully paired the two before going to bed, then when I woke up the next day it was gone, i factory reset both routers and tried to repair them and haven't been successful since...
No

I can understand Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming disable. I have it as well. I don't have old clients so either don't matter to me.
But Multi-User MIMO and 802.11ac...You really don't have any AC client? Maybe no MU-MIMO, but almost all equipments today are AC...

What's the direction you want to follow in optimizing your setup? I don't use any services like SMB, FTP, UPNP, drive sharing and other crap. I have QoS on, but just as an experiment. Traffic analyser is on also, but it's not a must. If you don't have multicast in the network, turn that off. Short preamble is not on by default and it makes a lot of difference in wifi performance.
I'm using Smart Connect between the 2 5GHz bands. A separate SSID for 2.4GHz - needed by Kindle, but nothing else in 2.4.
I'm keeping my setup as simple as possible. A router with wireless and nothing else.

@RMerlin is that on Broadcom to release a fix or Asus?

It's a hardware issue. Broadcom fixed it in a newer revision of the chip (BCM4366E). Models with the older chip will never get reliable MU-MIMO support.

@RMerlin Is that something that can be replaced via warranty?

I doubt it. Typically, manufacturers won't replace a product under warranty just for obtaining a newer hardware revision.

In any case, MU-MIMO is more marketing smoke than actually useful:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/why-you-dont-need-mu-mimo.41716/

You need at least two MU-MIMO clients to benefit from it, and some clients are ALSO broken. Samsung phones for instance will downgrade from 2x2 to 1x1, halving your phone's speed in half when using MU-MIMO.

@RMerlin How can i check which Broadcom model on my router?

I don't know. If you have an early revision (like HW revision A1), it's definitely the older chip.

My RT-AC5300 says HW Ver. R1.31 (date 2016), is it possible to know if it is an early release? Thanks

Mine says Revision A6
I went and bought it a few weeks ago to use aimesh.
Bad move... I should have waited for next gen wifi routers.
There is no official aimesh firmware for this model either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My RT-AC5300 says HW Ver. R1.31 (date 2016), is it possible to know if it is an early release? Thanks

If it's from 2016, then it's most likely the original BCM4366 version.