What's new

RT-AC56 5 GHz Media Bridge and 2.4Ghz as access point?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jea101

Regular Contributor
When you select a wireless network in media bridge mode the radio for the other band is disabled. Is it possible to override this and use 5GHz as a bridge and 24GHz as an access point?

This appears to be something that Asus should implement in their dual band products.

I think this is how it works. What firmware version are you using?

I'm having exactly the opposite problem with a RT-AC66R. When I choose media bridge over the 5ghz band, the 2.4 radio continues on and I can't figure out how to disable it!

So, first of all, I ended up flashing john9527's fork.

With that, I no longer see an SSID being broadcast. I do, however, see a relatively weak hidden AP, and I don't know what it is. Maybe its been there all along- I don't really know. I've never noticed before, but I never really looked either.

When I go to the settings page you provided I see the SSID network name that I used when I originally set up a test network in router mode. SSID broadcasting is on, but again, I don't see that SSID when I scan for APs on my laptop.

The 2.4 GHz light, however, is lit up on the media bridge.

You must do a reset to factory defaults and manually enter the minimum required settings to get connected to your ISP and your client. I would suggest a different ssid be used too.

You must do a reset to factory defaults and manually enter the minimum required settings to get connected to your ISP and your client. I would suggest a different ssid be used too.

To be clear, I'm not trying to do the same thing as the OP. If I wanted to do what the OP wants, I wouldn't be that hard. I'd just have to put my device in router mode, set up the 2.4Ghz radio with a certain SSID and password, then switch into media bridge mode.

On the newest Merlin builds, I'm pretty sure I'd end up with a bridge over the 5Ghz radio, and an AP on the 2.4 Ghz radio.

But, that's not what I want. I want to shut off the 2.4 radio entirely when I'm in media bridge mode. I can't do that either in the newest merlin builds or in the john9527 fork.

In the john9527 builds, 2.4 radio kind of shuts off. When I use wifi scanning tools I see weak a weak, hidden 2.4Ghz AP when my media bridge is on. I can't get anything to connect to it, but that might just be a client limitation (I tried manually entering the SSID and password, but that was still a no-go on a Win7 laptop, an Android phone, and a Surface RT).

I tried a factory reset- both on the merlin builds and on the john9527 builds. That didn't change anything. And I found a post by RMerlin that seems to confirm the bug.

Thanks
The radio showed on so I turned off and apply. Then I turned it on and hit apply and was able to connect to the 2.4 GHz wirelessly. This configuration survived a reboot. However, after a power cycle the bridge shows connected but won’t pass data from wireless clients

I was mistaken. I had an IP address wrong in the notebook. It does work after a power cycle.
Thanks again.

Asus should fully enable this mode.

For other reasons I have reinstalled stock (3.0.0.4.376_3602) firmware.

With stock firmware enabling the 2.4 GHz in the GUI doesn’t actually turn on the radio.:(:(