What's new

RT-AC56 with 384.3-Beta3 video streaming issues (YouTube)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jtp10181

Ok, just to start off I want to mention I mostly know what I am doing with networking equipment (I actually have a degree). Not going to claim I know everything there is to know though.

This also happened with the 382.2_Beta2 FYI.
Kids frequently watch YouTube videos on our first gen FireStick (via a browser since YouTube disable the app...) After I upgraded to the previous beta I noticed it kept hanging in the middle of the video, and there was no way to get it to keep going. Going back to the home screen on the device it seemed as though it totally lost its connection and I would just do a force reboot on the FireStick to resolve it. Its pretty consistent, it will hang up on just about any YouTube video they watch. It also seemed like other streaming was not as reliable, slower connections, buffering, etc... but it would not totally stall out like YouTube. I reverted back to 380.69_2 and everything works fine again. I saw the 384.3-Beta3 so I installed that yesterday, problems all came back. I am now back on 380.69_2 and I expect it will work fine again.

In 382 I tried various settings changes but not sure exactly what, nothing seemed to help.
In 384 I totally shut off QoS which did not help. I also shut off all the AiProtection and DOS protection, nothing helped.

I know I could also try a factory reset, but I have to have a good opportunity to do it, when I wont be under pressure to get it done in a hurry (if you know what I mean).

Any other suggestions? I want to help and figure out the problem before this release goes final for the sake of myself and others who might have issues. I can systematically turn certain things on or off to try and see what might fix it.

Here is some basic info about my setup. RT-AC56 that I keep updated with Asus-Merlin. AB-Solution 3.11. Nothing else to note for custom software or scripts running on it. I have a USB stick in it, just for entware, no file storage. CPU is usually low, and has 170Mb free RAM right now (which is about normal). Temps: 2.4 GHz: 48°C - 5 GHz: 53°C - CPU: 73°C. It is on a table in open free space with nothing else close to it usually and no other heat sources nearby. We have like 14-18 devices usually connected. Some of which are very idle like printer, thermostat, IoT, etc... Live in a house and we have good coverage throughout. The 2.4GHz saturation is not too bad here and still functions well. The FireStick is in the same room as the router and it is usually on 5Ghz, currently sitting at -48dBm

So yeah, I am willing to try a reset but I wanted to maybe have a few other tricks ready in case that doesn't fix it. Not sure if anything major has changed since 380 that a reset would even benefit anyway?

Did you perform a factory reset after upgrading firmware? This usually solves a lot of problems.

Sorry just saw your reference to a factory reset. You really should consider it though.

Very odd issue. I watched a few YouTube videos myself yesterday, I encountered no issue. Did not factory reset either coming from 380.90. In your case I would try a factory reset, if that doesn't fix it you're looking to some weird compatibility issue between the router, the ISP and the playback device.

Updated back to beta 3 and did a full reset via the "initialize" button in the admin section which apparently also wipes your JFFS (I had just done a backup luckily). After that I just setup the Wifi with the same SSID and password and turned on SSH and did not configure anything else. Problem still persists. YouTube seems to work fine on an iPad also BTW, it just locks up on the FireStick. But on 380.69 and every version before that it has worked flawlessly. This is a real bizzare one.

Try without the USB stick. Try the official 382 firmware.

With the jffs wiped and custom scripts off the USB stick may as well have not been there. But I will try the official one, will tell us if it's an Asus thing or part of Merlin's changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the jffs wiped and custom scripts off the USB stick may as well have not been there. But I will try the official one, will tell us if it's an Asus thing or part of Merlin's changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your USB stick will still be mounted, if there is any driver or device issue could cause high CPU usage or blocking.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!