What's new

RT-AC56U fried USB ports after firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SSovets

Occasional Visitor
Yesterday evening I updated the firmware of my RT-AC56U router from Merlin 380.67_0 to 380.68_2. Unlike other times I updated the firmware, this time the router restarted slower than usual, flashing the power LED for some time in the beginning, and I also felt a "burnt electronics" smell in the area. After it finally booted I discovered that neither the USB HDD (on the USB3 port), nor the USB 3G modem (on the USB2 port) were being detected. Testing on other devices, the HDD seems to be fine (haven't checked thoroughly yet, as the file system is EXT4 on it, and my windows 10 laptop wants to format it), but the modem is bricked, and nothing else I connect to either the USB2 or USB3 port of the router is detected.

So, given the smell, I would think the USB ports are fried, but maybe there's a way to make sure of it? Or maybe the smell was from the modem and the ports are ok, but somehow disabled (can't find anything about it it the admin). What should I try, any suggestions?

L.E. Searching through the logs I found strings like "kernel:hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1" and "kernel: hub 2-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2" - with no USB device connected; does this mean there's a short or something?

Last edited:
It does indicate that the driver detected a short. The short might be either the cause or the result of the problem however.

In either cases, sounds like an RMA will ne needed.

Yes, that's what I'm going to try, hopefully it will work (I bought the router from Amazon in another country, received no warranty certificate, so I hope Asus doesn't say that I have no warranty or something, especially since the EU warranty mandatory 2 years have passed already).

Router going back for a refund, now I need to order a new one, preferably with stronger storage (and overall) performance than this one.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!