What's new

RT-AC56U FW Rollback Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mahyar

New Around Here
Hi Folks,
I'm sorry if this issue has already been covered. I searched the forums but wasn't able to find anything on it.

I have an ASUS RT-AC56U router and I'm generally very happy with it. I currently have the ASUSWRT Merlin 380.63_0 running on it. It's fast and stable.

However, I would like to sell the router to a colleague of mine. He prefers the stock FW, so I told him that I'd revert it to stock before giving him the router.

As you might know, ASUS has apparently changed its FW file format, so it's no longer possible to revert to a FW which is older than a certain version. Moreover, since the AC56U is discontinued, the latest stock FW available on the ASUS website is: 9.0.0.4.380.2695 (Beta) which is actually older than the version threshold of 3.0.0.4.380_3000. Naturally, now the router doesn't allow the downgrade.

I have tried the following solutions without success:

1. Downgrade via the recovery software
2. Downgrade via the web interface while in recovery mode
3. Downgrade to ASUSWRT Merlin 380.60 Beta 2, then use the recovery software/web interface.

If you guys have another solution that might work, I would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
flash with the latest AsusWrt 380.3XXX on the official site

Thanks for the reply
380.2695 seemed to be the last Asuswrt for the AC56U as far as I could tell. Is there a higher compatible version available?

I followed that procedure several times using different FW Versions. Every time the recovery program gives the error: "Fail to recover router" after the upload. The router then restarts and boots with my current FW.
When I try the web interface after putting the router in recovery mode, the page resets after the upload finishes, but the router again restarts with my current FW.