What's new

RT-AC56U latencies with Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RenardBleu

New Around Here
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I just spent the morning trying diffenret things on my router. Of course I read quite some topics doing so. I hope my following questions were not already met in the forum and I would have missed it...

I want to get rid of all the ads we currently get. I first thought of installing a Pi Hole but ended changing the firmware ffor my RT-AC56U to Merlin in order to use Diversion. In the end, I had to revert it all as my kid wasnt that much happy his Fortnite ping went from 17 before it all to 230 afterwards.

Is this due to the router and its insufficient hardware ? Is this due to how the different components installed by Merlin work and therefore if I want to be able to use those, I will necesarry end up loosing ping ? Would it be better to use a Raspberry Pi to have a regular Pi Hole on it ?

I got to say I am quite motivated by Merlin and the different plug ins one can add...

Thanks in advance for your help and responses.

The RT-AC56U RMerlin firmware is quite old. Are you talking about the @john9527 RMerlin fork instead? Which firmware is currently installed?

Release - [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374 LTS release 46E9 (DNSpooq) | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

After flashing the firmware above, did you do a full reset to factory defaults? And minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. Without using a saved backup config file.

To install the @john9527 RMerlin fork on your router, Rescue mode may be required (if it doesn't work directly from the GUI like a 'normal' firmware update).

Asus Rescue Mode

After getting the router to the firmware suggested above, the following link may help too.

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

And to get the amtm scripts working as efficiently as possible, I suggest a Patriot Elite 128GB USB drive or bigger. The ideal would be to use a 128GB SSD or larger in a UGREEN PCIe SSD enclosure for maximum dependability (and may cost less than the Elite, suggested, if you have a spare SSD available).

Be sure that when you have the router fully reset and working, you do not plug in a USB drive with amtm previously installed on it. Format the drive to NTFS file format on a PC first, then insert it into the router and follow the steps below to properly set it up.

amtm Step-by-Step https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421
(Note that amtm doesn't need 'installing' with the firmware stated above or for RMerlin firmware 384.15_0 or later).