What's new

[RT-AC56U] "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly."

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eldmor

New Around Here
I have noticed connection issues while playing a game called Rainbow 6: Siege. I often have lag where everything freezes which is caused by a small connection error (packet loss maybe, or losing connection for a split second). Sometimes the connection fixes itself and I can continue playing, but sometimes I lose connection to the game servers which kicks me out of the game.

In addition of those connection issues, sometimes I completely lose internet connection for a longer time (~minute or requires a reboot). If I lose my connection completely, my router control panel states "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly.".

What could be done to prevent these issues? I'm living in an apartment house, where I have one RJ45-socket from the wall which is connected to my AC56U. The router hosts WiFi and my PC & TV are connected to the router by ethernet cable.

Could asking for a static IP from my ISP help with this issue? Are there any helpful logs on my device that I could collect and post here?

Running Asuswrt-Merlin 380.67 on my RT-AC56U

What type of a modem do you have? You mentioned an RJ-45 wall jack, but what's on the other end?

One scenario where you'll see that "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly" message is if you're requesting a Dynamic IP address from a modem, when it's already issued one to your router. In other words, with most ISPs you're paying for a single dynamic Public IP and if a different device requests a second it'll be denied.

For example, if you connect a laptop directly to that RJ-45 jack and it get's an IP, and then you disconnect that and plug your router in, you're asking for a second public IP. You typically need to reboot the modem or wait for the first device's lease to expire before you'll be able to get a new public IP.

Anyway, more details about your setup would be helpful, particularly what type of broadband service you have and what type of device (modem) is between your ISP's physical connection and your router.

What type of a modem do you have? You mentioned an RJ-45 wall jack, but what's on the other end?

One scenario where you'll see that "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly" message is if you're requesting a Dynamic IP address from a modem, when it's already issued one to your router. In other words, with most ISPs you're paying for a single dynamic Public IP and if a different device requests a second it'll be denied.

For example, if you connect a laptop directly to that RJ-45 jack and it get's an IP, and then you disconnect that and plug your router in, you're asking for a second public IP. You typically need to reboot the modem or wait for the first device's lease to expire before you'll be able to get a new public IP.

Anyway, more details about your setup would be helpful, particularly what type of broadband service you have and what type of device (modem) is between your ISP's physical connection and your router.

I'm running a ASUS RT-AC56U if you missed that from my post. That is the only device I'm currently running. I have one, single RJ45 wall jack inside my apartment, that's where I get my internet access from. This is an apartment building, so I don't have any access to the bulding's own router/switch/whatever device there is in the basement. If I have any problems with that one single RJ45-jack, I'll have to contact my ISP. I don't have a lot of details about my connection since it is included in my rent. I only know that it is a 50/50 connection, probably optical fiber to our apartment basement and copper inside our walls. My router is connected to that wall jack by an ethernet cable, every other device is connected to my router.

Do you need more details about my setup? I've tried to answer all of your questions. Thank you for your help!

I'm running a ASUS RT-AC56U if you missed that from my post. That is the only device I'm currently running. I have one, single RJ45 wall jack inside my apartment, that's where I get my internet access from. This is an apartment building, so I don't have any access to the bulding's own router/switch/whatever device there is in the basement.

So it's your apartment buildings router in the basement, that's likely causing your problems. Do you know if you can pull more than one IP from it? You might try connecting your laptop directly to your apartment's Ethernet jack to confirm that you still have issues. If it's a problem to have your router disconnected you could connect the apartment connection to an un-managed switch and then connect one cable to your laptop and another to your router. This will also confirm if you can pull a second IP from the building. Be sure your laptop is set for a Public connection so that you're properly firewalled from your neighbors.

This is a good tool to test the quality and persistence of your Internet connection. If you have a Windows laptop, and you can plug it in directly to the building, then run this utility over a period of time that makes sense based on your previous failures. This should give you an idea of how good your connection is, and may help in terms of providing data to the apartment building or your ISP if you're seeing consistent issues.

https://netuptimemonitor.com/

In addition to already mentioned, I'd try using your own router(ASUS router) as a swich only. Or ask your neighbors if they are using their own routers with any issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!