What's new

RT-AC66R - Why Unsupported?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SJMarty

Occasional Visitor
I have two RT-AC66R routers. One functions as my main router and the other is an access point. The label on both boxes lists H/W Ver.: A1 and manufactured in 2014.

The web site indicates that the RT-AC66R is no longer supported. I see a lot of threads posted here from users of this router that are running the Merlin firmware. I'm running Shibby on both right now and have some issues and want to dump it. I want to avoid going from a problematic firmware to an unsupported one so I'm trying to determine what makes it unsupported.

Does it only run up to a certain version? Are there features that don't work?

Thanks for any help.

Merlin dropped support for the old MIPS based routers (RT-N66U and RT-AC66U) because they don't run the current 384 code and he doesn't have the time to maintain the old code base just for those routers.

So am I able to run the legacy (380?) firmware on what I have now? Or would it be better to upgrade to a newer model router?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

So am I able to run the legacy (380?) firmware on what I have now? Or would it be better to upgrade to a newer model router?

Your Asus options are basically stock firmware or John's Fork. John's fork will give you some of the options you are looking for.

Yes 380.70 is the last version for that model. Or Johns as mentioned above is the other option. BTW 380.70 is running great for me on the AC66R. More info here.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

So it's either John's fork of 374.43 which is older base code but is being updated and maintained or 380.70, which is a higher base version but no more updates.

Any guides or comparisons to help me determine the best choice?

I would prefer to go with Johns fork as he's still updating his firmware for this router security-wise.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!