What's new

RT-AC66R Wireless Suddenly Dropping Clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

invader21

New Around Here
Over the last several days, my 6-month-old RT-AC66R has become highly unreliable in maintaining wireless connectivity. It began with lapses and lags in internet connectivity, and now it is dropping wireless clients altogether. Sometimes they are able to reconnect, other times they are not, and have to choose a different SSID on the router...or the router has to be rebooted. The problem seems more associated with the 2.4ghz band.

Since I bought and configured this router in April of this year, I have had several SSIDs. Both a primary 5ghz and 2.4ghz wireless network, and at least 4 guest networks configured for different purposes. All have unique SSIDs such that I can discern which I'm connected to at any point in time.

In trying to diagnose this issue, I have used InSSIDer to try to determine if any new neighboring wifis are interfering, but all seems normal in that department. Even still, I moved my 2.4 ghz traffic to avoid proximity with occasional, almost non-existent blips from my neighbor's wifi.

I live in a rural area - each yard is at least 1 acre. So proximity is not usually a problem.

I upgraded my router firmware to the latest ASUS standard as well.

So far, none of this has helped. Interestingly, my work laptop (I work from home) has not had ANY troubles. It continues to connect and stay connected. But all of our other wireless clients -- three iphones, one ipad, one Win 8.1 tablet, wireless printer, Xbox, and another laptop -- continue to have unreliable connectivity. And for all of them, this issue just began over this past weekend.

One of the wireless guest networks I used for my iPhone routinely for months I can no longer connect to AT ALL. The iPhone keeps telling me the password is wrong even as I stare at it in the ASUS router interface, and type it correctly time and time again.

I'm positively baffled. I'm going to try the latest stable Merlin firmware tonight to see if that helps.

The devices that are having trouble connecting predominantly use the 2.4ghz band, but not all of them. I'm at my wits end.

While it's cliché to state, nothing in my home network has changed. No new wireless devices. No new appliances that might interfere that haven't been here for months (if not years).

Because of the spread of affected devices, I don't think a client network interface is the culprit. And my wired PC continues to hum and maintain appropriate download speeds. The wireless speeds seem very unpredictable now, going up and down (via Speedtest.net).

Any suggestions? I'm about to go out and buy a new router--again. I can't be down like this for so many devices. But I don't want to spend the money again. I just dumped a lot of money into the RT-AC66R (as opposed to my prior approach of bargain routers)....so far, that's not looking like a great decision.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!