What's new

RT-AC66U 5GHz Running hot.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mav

Occasional Visitor
I have 2 Asus Routers one is an RT-N66U and a RT-AC66U

The wireless temperatures on the RT-N66U runs at around 53c on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz

On the RT-AC66U the temp runs at around 56c on the 2.4GHZ and around 78c on the 5GHz.

Is the temp of 78c on the 5GHz running to hot? If it is what can be done to bring it down? the router is on its stand and is in a well ventilated space.

What is transmit power for 5 GHZ radio?

To check navigate to wireless section and then choose professional tab, from here choose frequency 5 ghz and take note of Tx power adjustment.

Hi Hawk, thanks for your reply.

The Tx power adjustment is 80mW. As is the 2.4 GHz.

My AC66 got hot as well - even when standing vertically - so I changed it to an AC68. The only alternative seemed to get a cooling fan on the back of the thing.

I noticed the 5GHz radio running hotter as my AC66u got older. I blew it out with compressed air and the temperature dropped to about 65C. This worried me a little as we move into the summer months so I upgraded to the AC68u and my 5GHz radio now runs at 50C. They must have improved cooling on the newer model.

I noticed the 5GHz radio running hotter as my AC66u got older. I blew it out with compressed air and the temperature dropped to about 65C. This worried me a little as we move into the summer months so I upgraded to the AC68u and my 5GHz radio now runs at 50C. They must have improved cooling on the newer model.

I agree with you.

There are massive heat sinks /cooling fins on the top of the unit and the 68 case seems deeper than the 66.

My router is in a well ventilated place but the air con in that room isn't on 24/7 so in summer it's rather hot. I was frightened that the 66 would fail in such circumstances and that's why I changed to the 68.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!