What's new

RT-AC66U A1 firmware compatibility?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Plutie

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I am trying to set up an RT-AC66U (rev A1) as a wireless repeater. I cannot find a version that I can confirm is compatible with the A1 revision, and would like to know if there's either a version of this modified firmware compatible with it, or if I should just switch back to the original firmware (can't find a download for the A1's original firmware). Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you,

Plutie

Hello,

I am trying to set up an RT-AC66U (rev A1) as a wireless repeater. I cannot find a version that I can confirm is compatible with the A1 revision, and would like to know if there's either a version of this modified firmware compatible with it, or if I should just switch back to the original firmware (can't find a download for the A1's original firmware). Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you,

Plutie

John's fork is compatible with it.

update: I did not have much success flashing the firmware through tftp. The LAN light has been quickly flashing for at least a couple days now. Is it safe for me to force a reboot and re-flash the OEM firmware? If not, how should I proceed with recovery?

I should take about an hour. Unplug the power and then try again.

Why are you using tftp? Why aren't you using the router's normal web interface?

What firmware version is currently installed on the router and what version are you trying to load?

The normal web interface seemed to not be working, and I read that tftp was reliable for getting a proper upload.

The normal web interface seemed to not be working, and I read that tftp was reliable for getting a proper upload.
Why does the web interface not work? Does this router actually work or is it just broken?

What firmware version is currently installed on the router and what version are you trying to load?

I'm trying to switch from DD-WRT, should I install stock firmware first and then upgrade to merlin from there?

@Plutie You left out the fact that you were trying to come from DD-WRT....:oops:

DD-WRT changes the partitioning such that it can make it very difficult to move off of it back to any variant of ASUSWRT.
First think to try is to grab a very old level of ASUS code and try that.....something along the lines of my fork back to around Update-13E1 (2015) and do it via the CFE mini-web server.

If that doesn't work, then we would need to start trying to manually delete some of the existing flash partitions which can be dangerous....

Sorry, I'll try that now. I didn't know that about DD-WRT, good to know for future projects. I'll try installing 14E1, 13E1 isn't available in your downloads.

I cannot get the router to let me into the mini-web server. I assigned myself a static IP, which has worked for me in all other instances, but connecting to 192.168.1.1 does not bring up the upload menu.

Have you confirmed that you have successfully put the router into Rescue Mode with the power indicator light slowly flashing?

I cannot get the router to let me into the mini-web server. I assigned myself a static IP, which has worked for me in all other instances, but connecting to 192.168.1.1 does not bring up the upload menu.
Try starting a persistent ping from your PC to the router before you try and put it in rescue mode. When you get a response to the ping, stop it and then try to connect.

1605636911639.png

I got 14E1 to flash, will give it an hour and then check if it succeeded.