What's new

RT-AC66U AP Mode 100mbit limit on wan port?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mattnin

New Around Here
I have the router connected directly to a 1Gbps netgear switch to the wan port and a brand new Cat6 cable. I'm using the router in AP mode. The switch shows a link speed of 1Gbps but I'm getting only 100Mbit to the router. I'm testing it using my PC with a large file and transferring it to the router and connected USB drive. I've tried different cables and it's still getting only 100Mbit. I've tested the switch and transferred the file to another PC connected to the switch and it's getting a full 1Gbps. Is the WAN port on the router limited to only 100Mbit/s? Why am I getting only 100Mbit/s on a full 1Gbps network? Is it because of AP mode? Any help I can get will be much appreciated!

connected USB drive.

that is your bottleneck

Is the WAN port on the router limited to only 100Mbit/s?

no

Why am I getting only 100Mbit/s on a full 1Gbps network?

because the usb is the slowest device and with the rt-ac68u your not going to get anywhere close to 100MB/s connect your comp directly to the rt-ac68u and do the same usb test

usb on routers is slow as it uses the routers cpu and they are no where near as fast as comp cpu's

Ok, I didn't realize the USB connection would be so slow. Maybe it would be best if I moved that drive off the router. Thanks for the quick response!

far better if you just get a real NAS and install a hdd or 2 in it and forget usb for ever more
Well, it just depends what purpose you have for Network Attached Storage.
When it is just for backup purposes or simple shares on your network, the router integrated USB storage works fine! When you work a lot with editing large files a dedicated NAS is the fastest way.

I have two drives connected to my router, one 256GB flash drive (USB2) which is always ON and a 2TB HD (USB3) as backup. Although not super fast, it does the job and reading performance from the 2TB mechanical drive is around 500Mbps.

meh , why would you bother loading the cpu cycle time with usb work when it has enough to do already , once you go NAS you never look back and that not to mention things like plex transcoding which no router would do

moh, that is comparing oranges with apples..

An entry level NAS comes typically with a 2-core (1-1.2GHz) CPU which is not powerful enough for transcoding video's on-the-fly. (tried to transcode the new HEVC/H.265 codec video's yet?)

A more powerful (4-bay) NAS is $300++ bare (with no HD's), and can (budget wise) not be compared with a $150 router with included USB storage option. Sure a dedicated NAS is nice and has it's advantages, but costs a "bit"..

My RT-AC1900P perfectly streams x264 High@4.1 profile video's (1080p) to my smart TV through DLNA without any need for transcoding ;).

Last edited:
By the way, not that it matters, but the op said he has an rt-ac66u not rt-ac68u.

If your in ap mode, then why are plugged into the WAN port? You should be in port 1,2,3 or 4. Or LAN ports. Though I agree the hdd would be your bottleneck regardless. Sounds like two separate issues.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

If your in ap mode, then why are plugged into the WAN port? You should be in port 1,2,3 or 4. Or LAN ports. Though I agree the hdd would be your bottleneck regardless. Sounds like two separate issues.

Does the port matter?

Yes, should be on one of the internal ports typically port 1. That's how the manuals typically have it setup.

Yes, should be on one of the internal ports typically port 1. That's how the manuals typically have it setup.

OK, but it seems to be working fine plugged into the wan plus I don't have to worry about a rogue DHCP server when stuff breaks which may happen if it's plugged into LAN.

The bottleneck writing/reading to the AC66U attached USB drive is sure the USB2.0 port (and speed) of the router.
That you get 100Mbps transfer is typical, I get same read speeds on my RT-AC1900P's USB2.0 port.
Only on the USB3.0 port I get 60Mbps read speeds..

If it's in AP mode then dhcp server is not running on that router. So that should be moot. I usually default to best practice, which tends to avoid potential problems. Nonetheless I do agree USB is the bottleneck here.

I have the router connected directly to a 1Gbps netgear switch to the wan port and a brand new Cat6 cable. I'm using the router in AP mode. The switch shows a link speed of 1Gbps but I'm getting only 100Mbit to the router. I'm testing it using my PC with a large file and transferring it to the router and connected USB drive. I've tried different cables and it's still getting only 100Mbit. I've tested the switch and transferred the file to another PC connected to the switch and it's getting a full 1Gbps. Is the WAN port on the router limited to only 100Mbit/s? Why am I getting only 100Mbit/s on a full 1Gbps network? Is it because of AP mode? Any help I can get will be much appreciated!

Did you ever solve this issue?

I seem to be having a similar WAN issue with 2x AC86U, no USB drives plugged in. Cable is fine, AP LAN ports are fine, but AP WAN is 100Mbit only.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!