What's new

RT-AC66U B1 connection problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ItayA

New Around Here
Hi,
I have AiMesh network with DSL-AC68U as mesh router and RT-AC66U B1 as node connected via Ethernet with a long distance (about 20m, or 65 7 feet) cat7 F/FFTP cable.
So my small home network contains DSL-AC68U->cat6 cable->keystone jack->cat7 ->keystone jack->cat6 cable->RT-AC66U B1.
I configured the node to work over Ethernet by default and rebooted both devices.
Both devices updated to current ASUS official firmware.
My problem is that the mesh network losing Ethernet connection every couple of minutes and reconnects as WIFI, I can see the WAN link on the node is off. It reconnects back to Ethernet after couple of minutes and disconnects again.
When I connect Ethernet cable straight to my PC I have no similar connection problems, even after long periods of time.
I tried to factory reset both routers and setup mesh network back, it didn't help.
I tried defining the RT-AC66U B1 as AP, and it worked great for a day or so, but after a while it started disconnecting the same way.
I tried changing cables, between wall jacks and routers, didn't help. It will be quite hard to replace the long distance cable, which works fine when connecting the DSL-AC68U directly to PC.
I don't see any reason for connection loss on the logs, if I'm reading it right.
Any ideas for what should I try next?

Hi,
I have AiMesh network with DSL-AC68U as mesh router and RT-AC66U B1 as node connected via Ethernet with a long distance (about 20m, or 65 7 feet) cat7 F/FFTP cable.
So my small home network contains DSL-AC68U->cat6 cable->keystone jack->cat7 ->keystone jack->cat6 cable->RT-AC66U B1.
I configured the node to work over Ethernet by default and rebooted both devices.
Both devices updated to current ASUS official firmware.
My problem is that the mesh network losing Ethernet connection every couple of minutes and reconnects as WIFI, I can see the WAN link on the node is off. It reconnects back to Ethernet after couple of minutes and disconnects again.
When I connect Ethernet cable straight to my PC I have no similar connection problems, even after long periods of time.
I tried to factory reset both routers and setup mesh network back, it didn't help.
I tried defining the RT-AC66U B1 as AP, and it worked great for a day or so, but after a while it started disconnecting the same way.
I tried changing cables, between wall jacks and routers, didn't help. It will be quite hard to replace the long distance cable, which works fine when connecting the DSL-AC68U directly to PC.
I don't see any reason for connection loss on the logs, if I'm reading it right.
Any ideas for what should I try next?

Given the adage, '99% of all networking problems are cabling', and your wired backhaul of chained jacks and cables, I would suspect the wired backhaul's integrity.

Have you tried substituting a simpler, wired backhaul you can trust like a single patch cable to see if the AiMesh becomes stable?

OE

Given the adage, '99% of all networking problems are cabling', and your wired backhaul of chained jacks and cables, I would suspect the wired backhaul's integrity.

Have you tried substituting a simpler, wired backhaul you can trust like a single patch cable to see if the AiMesh becomes stable?

OE
tnx for quick response.
When I use simple cable the connection is stable, the problem is that I need this long cable solution in my house.
like I mentioned those same cables works fine with other hosts (PC, laptop), no disconnections and speed is excellent.
Can I find somewhere more extensive logs to try to figure out what might cause this disconnections?, because it does connect the two devices, and I do get max speeds when I'm connected.
Does the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware got better logs or diagnostics?

tnx for quick response.
When I use simple cable the connection is stable, the problem is that I need this long cable solution in my house.
like I mentioned those same cables works fine with other hosts (PC, laptop), no disconnections and speed is excellent.
Can I find somewhere more extensive logs to try to figure out what might cause this disconnections?, because it does connect the two devices, and I do get max speeds when I'm connected.
Does the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware got better logs or diagnostics?

So, you agree the chain of cabling/jacks is suspect? If so, it might be easier to debug that than to interpret log entries. If the jacks are wall jacks, you could open those up and inspect the wiring/connections. You could replace the cat7 patch cord, or prove AiMesh works with it alone. That leaves any cabling hidden in walls. etc.

OE

Try another port.
Or take a switch or hub between, maybe your ports are somehow weak and a switch will handle it better.

PROBLEM SOLVED!
I terminated both of my wall jacks as t568a but my Ethernet cables are t568b, while my PC's NIC handled it easily, The ASUS devices NIC
Struggled.
Changing the jack layout did the job. everything works fine now.
Thanks for all your help.

PROBLEM SOLVED!
I terminated both of my wall jacks as t568a but my Ethernet cables are t568b, while my PC's NIC handled it easily, The ASUS devices NIC
Struggled.

Cool! Way to stick with it, especially having to review previous work. Feel free to share the lesson learned on terminating Ethernet.

OE

PROBLEM SOLVED!
Struggled.
It doesnt make any difference, as long as ONE cable is connected on BOTH sides (jacks) with same standard there cant be any problem.
Patch cables can be different, but same on both sides as well.

I think that there has been a bad connection on one or more pins and you solved it with rewireing.

It doesnt make any difference, as long as ONE cable is connected on BOTH sides (jacks) with same standard there cant be any problem.
Patch cables can be different, but same on both sides as well.

I think that there has been a bad connection on one or more pins and you solved it with rewireing.
Might be, but it dosn't explain why other hosts worked flawlessly while the ASUS devices had issues.
Anyway things works good now.
Tnx for the help

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!