What's new

Release RT-AC66U B1 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.49703

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
Version 3.0.0.4.386.49703

2022/07/20 95.32 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC66U B1 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.49703
1. Fixed CVE-2018-1160, CVE-2022-26376.
2. Improved system stability.
3. Added 3rd party DNS server list in WAN --> DNS to help users enhance the connection security.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: df22d37f18b8595d953dafd14da92b74

Asus Global: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT.../ASUS-WiFi-Routers/RT-AC66U-B1/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Help! I updayed my router via its gui, and i is now bricked. And the end of the update, I was instructed to manually reboot it. I did, but it never came back. It never turned on the wifi lights, even after 20 minutes of waiting. It never did the 2nd reboot that it used to. So I tried to factory reset it by turning it off, holding the wps button, turning it on, then releasing the wps button after the power light blinked. Same result...in never reser, nor turned on the wifi lights. I went to its ip address (the one I use...it would have changed with a factory reset), and I got the AsusTek CFE Server (while hardwired to it). I uploaded the previous firmware, It appeared to upload, but then the router reset the connection. Now what???

And the end of the update, I was instructed to manually reboot it.

See this:

Now what???

Use the Firmware Restoration Tool or Mini CFE Web and wait. It can take 30-60min. The router will reboot itself, when ready.

See this:

Use the Firmware Restoration Tool or Mini CFE Web and wait. It can take 30-60min. The router will reboot itself, when ready.
I can no longer get the Mini CFE. Does the firmware restoration tool run on a Mac?

It is available in Mac App Store, but I don't know if/how it works. With Mini CFE Web no DHCP server is running. You have to assign static IP to your computer's NIC. I believe this router has 192.168.1.1 default LAN address, so 192.168.1.5, for example. You have to hold the buttons longer to get to Recovery Mode on this model. Make sure you upload the correct firmware file. Wait until the router reboots itself.

Thanks for your insight. I found the Mac tool. It has clear instructions that correlate with yours about the static ip address. I very much appreciate your comment about holding thr button longer to get into recovery mode...but how long? Here is what I experience. I turnn off the router. Hold the reset button. Turn on the router. After a while, the power light goes out. I am still holding the rset button. 60 seconds later, the power light comes on solid. I am still holding the reset button. about 60 seconds later, the power light goes out. So far I have been holding 2 minutes...should I be holding longer than that, or is my router bricked?

Make sure you are pressing the reset button to the left of the WAN port. Not the WPS button, although a hard factory reset may recover the router. The instructions say to hold the reset button in with the power cord unplugged. Plug in the power cord while holding the reset button till the power LED blinks. Takes about 10 seconds.

I was holding the proper reset button. I had previsouly reset the router with the reset button, releasing it whe the powe light blinks quickly. That did not recover the router. However, when I plug the router in while holding the reset but next to the WAN port, the power light never blinks, it goes off after about 60 seconds, then comes on again after 60 seconds.

I got it restored, even though I never got the slow blinking light. Thanks for everybody’s help!

Please, report the issue to Asus in Administration, Feedback for a chance to get it fixed.

I reported this. Then, I finished configuring the OpenVPN server with this latest firmware as I had done with multiple previous versions. However, after connecting to the VPN (sucessfully), then disconnecting, the Router becomes non-responsive and stops all internet traffic. I rebooted and used the GUI to upload the previous (3.0.0.4.386.48262) firmware (retaining my configuration). With that firmware and my settings, the VPN works fine. I reported that as well, but has anybody else noticed this problem with the new firmware?

I reported this. Then, I finished configuring the OpenVPN server with this latest firmware as I had done with multiple previous versions. However, after connecting to the VPN (sucessfully), then disconnecting, the Router becomes non-responsive and stops all internet traffic. I rebooted and used the GUI to upload the previous (3.0.0.4.386.48262) firmware (retaining my configuration). With that firmware and my settings, the VPN works fine. I reported that as well, but has anybody else noticed this problem with the new firmware?
You are not supposed to use a current firmware config when going back a version. Will cause issues in time. Best bet is to do a Factory Default Reset and Initialize then configure from scratch.

As for this firmware version I did not have any issues upgrading from the GUI. Router rebooted and was good to go. As for OpenVPN server, again a Factory Default reset with Initialize and configure manually. Well worth your time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!