What's new

RT-AC66U B1, FW 386.9 > Can't get AiMesh to work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zolt

Occasional Visitor
Hi there.

I had to do a reset on my home network - decided to restart fresh.
I have 2 identical RT-AC66U B1 router.

I had AiMesh setup before - I've set it up about 1.5 years ago - I can't remember which FW I had at the time, but it was an earlier version.
Now, no matter what I try, it doesn't seem to work.
The main router is working fine - it's all setup and working.

When I click on the Network Map > AiMesh Node > Search, I can seem my second router. When I select it and click Apply, I get this message:
Unable to add your AiMesh node RT-AC66U B1 (MAC-ADDRESS) to your AiMesh system due to the following situations. Please check and try again.
1. Someone else is trying to set up an AiMesh system. Please wait 1 minute and try again.
your AiMesh router and node should be within 3 meters of each other during the setup process.
2. Make sure your AiMesh node is powered on.
3. Your AiMesh node has been upgraded to AiMesh-supported firmware.
4. Your AiMesh node has been reset to default

Any suggestions?
Should I revert to an older firmware and try again, then upgrade to the newest firmware?

FYI, I also tried to go through the initial setup of the second router in hope I could then re-configure it as an AiMesh router, but it requires I do a reset and I'm back to square one.

Thanks for your help!

Try wired AiMesh setup, disconnect the node after and see if it fails back to wireless. Use stock Asuswrt on the node.

Last edited:
Try wired AiMesh setup, disconnect the node after and see if it fails back to wireless. Use stock Asuswrt on the node.
OK thanks for your quick response!
I'll try wired first, and if it fails, I'll setup it up all the wya so I can flash stock f-w, do a reset and give it a try that way too.

Damn! Got same message/issue with Wired connection (unable to ad your AiMesh node....).
I'll configure it enought so I can flash a stock firmware and try again.
I'll go with a FW version around the date I did the initial setup -
Version 3.0.0.4.386.43129 2021/05/21.

I'll report here if it worked in case someone else has these troubles.

There is a new stock Asuswrt 386_51255 for your routers. Try the new one first.

There is a new stock Asuswrt 386_51255 for your routers. Try the new one first.
Thanks.
I have already started the flashing process - will first try with the old FW.

Once I have it running correctly, am I better to use the Asus FW on the AiMesh node? Or can I have Merlin on both?

For better stability in wireless AiMesh I would use stock Asuswrt on both routers. There is no need to try old firmware when a new one is available. Try the new one first and revert to older versions only if you encounter some issues. The new firmware has some good to have fixes.

Going in circle like a damn idiot.
I know the first time I set this up it went like a breeze! Why can't I get it going this time!!!! I feel like a total idiot.
I keep on getting that same message about the AiMesh Node that can't be added to my router (see first post) and I don't understand what's going on...and I hate when I don't understand!

So, here will be the next steps:
0. Convince wife she can't watch TV or browse her FB for the next hour or so....
1. Revert main router to ASUS stock FW
2. Completely reset main router to OOB settings
3. Try to configure the AiMesh with both OOB router
4. reconfigure home network

Now if that doesn't work, I don't know anymore!!!

I don't understand what's going on...

If you have Asuswrt-Merlin on your main router AiMesh may or may not work as expected. I'm asking for quite some time AiMesh fill support in Asuswrt-Merlin to be removed from the Wiki. I never had wireless nodes properly associating to Asuswrt-Merlin running main router on all 386/388 firmware versions or since AiMesh 2.0 was introduced. I made about 100 posts about it, had some heated conversations about it, new threads with repeating issues pop very often - all ignored so far and the issue remains unrecognized. As per later statements AiMesh in Asuswrt-Merlin is unsupported, whatever that means. You basically have to find your own solution. My advice - if you need wireless AiMesh use stock Asuswrt on both routers. If you need wired AiMesh - you have a better change with stock Asuswrt on the nodes. If the latest available firmware gives you issues - roll back and try again. Good luck.

If you have Asuswrt-Merlin on your main router AiMesh may or may not work as expected. I'm asking for quite some time AiMesh fill support in Asuswrt-Merlin to be removed from the Wiki. I never had wireless nodes properly associating to Asuswrt-Merlin running main router on all 386/388 firmware versions or since AiMesh 2.0 was introduced. I made about 100 posts about it, had some heated conversations about it, new threads with repeating issues pop very often - all ignored so far and the issue remains unrecognized. As per later statements AiMesh in Asuswrt-Merlin is unsupported, whatever that means. You basically have to find your own solution. My advice - if you need wireless AiMesh use stock Asuswrt on both routers. If you need wired AiMesh - you have a better change with stock Asuswrt on the nodes. If the latest available firmware gives you issues - roll back and try again. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for all this info Tech9.
After reseting to factory defaults, I was able (using stock FW as you suggested) to add my second router as an AiMesh node.
I seem to now be back to business - just need to reconfigure everything.
Again, thanks a lot for all your help - I'll stick to your suggestions and stay on the stock Asus fw to save me some troubles!

Keep the configuration simple because RT-AC66U B1 has limited NVRAM available and you may run into issues with too much custom configuration. Just do the basics and let the routers run. It's >10-years old tech hardware, but very reliable if you don't fiddle with the settings too much.

Keep the configuration simple because RT-AC66U B1 has limited NVRAM available and you may run into issues with too much custom configuration. Just do the basics and let the routers run. It's >10-years old tech hardware, but very reliable if you don't fiddle with the settings too much.
Yes - you are absolutely right.
I've had the first in the pair setup for a couple years now (6-7 maybe?).
When I moved, I added a second router as an AiMesh - the wall between the house and the garage is brick and the automated light and surveillance camera on that side couldn't reach the router.
Besides that, I've always kept the config to the simplest, but I had a couple reserved IP in the DHCP table.
After the last FW upgrade, I started getting NVRam shortage warning. I tried to do some cleanup and that's when all started to break.
I guess I was really due to do a factory reset and restart from scratch.
It also allowed me to clean up the list of reserved IPs - I should be better at cleaning up that table!!!
Overall, I'm really satisfied with this set of router - as you say, they are pretty reliable even though they are a little outdated.

Thanks to your good advises, I'm back online now and happy with it my setup once again :D

I have one RT-AC66U B1 working as VPN exit node about 6200km away in another country. This model specifically because it's cheap and reliable. Last time I checked it had >150 days uptime - since I plugged in there. It was updated to Asuswrt 386_51255 few days back and continues ticking.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!