What's new

RT-AC66U B1 OpenVPN Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarWell

Occasional Visitor
Hi newbie here, so I hope that I have post in the correct topic.

I had previously a GT-AC5300 but I gave it away last week to my brother and start using my 4 years old 66UB1, I have updated to the latest Asus Stock Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.386_40558 and everything is running well. My issues start when I get connected to the OpenVPN connection, my VPN connections get disconnected after couple of minutes or an hour (I have made some extended ping test with my ISP and it shows it only losses about 1%, so I don´t think this would be the issue), I need to login to the router and reset the connection in order to start having Internet Connection again. My other issue is that obviously my speed would drop, but in this case my VPN max speed would be around 20Mbps, are this avg speed ok according to this Model?

- What settings should I start changing so my VPN connections gets more stable or to reconnect manually?
- Should I change my Asus firmware to Merlin? Maybe this changes helps me with both connection and speed?

Thanks to everyone, any help will be appreciated.

Did you do a full reset after flashing 4.386.xx?

Did you do a full reset after flashing 4.386.xx?

Yes, I had to it. Because after updating it didn't let me log in, tried different computers, browsers and the app, so I had to press the reset button to full reset it.

Hi newbie here, so I hope that I have post in the correct topic.

I had previously a GT-AC5300 but I gave it away last week to my brother and start using my 4 years old 66UB1, I have updated to the latest Asus Stock Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.386_40558 and everything is running well. My issues start when I get connected to the OpenVPN connection, my VPN connections get disconnected after couple of minutes or an hour (I have made some extended ping test with my ISP and it shows it only losses about 1%, so I don´t think this would be the issue), I need to login to the router and reset the connection in order to start having Internet Connection again. My other issue is that obviously my speed would drop, but in this case my VPN max speed would be around 20Mbps, are this avg speed ok according to this Model?

- What settings should I start changing so my VPN connections gets more stable or to reconnect manually?
- Should I change my Asus firmware to Merlin? Maybe this changes helps me with both connection and speed?

Thanks to everyone, any help will be appreciated.
I had trouble with OpenVPN on RT-AC86U and it got sorted after I flashed to Merlin so I would suggest trying that. One simple thing that helped me with connections being dropped was to disable Smart Connect or whatever ASUS call it where it automatically switches between 2,4/5G in case you have it enabled since it seems to be buggy. And then there's plenty of OpenVPN settings to investigate of course but I won't recommend anything in particular there. I don't know what your connection speed is but I'm getting the theoretical max of 100/100Mbps on this router with OpenVPN enabled so you should definitely not accept something that is much slower than expected. It depends on the VPN server too of course.

I have an ac66u b1 with 384.19

First on my smartphone I have done a speed test through 4g and it gave me 56.6 / 7.48 Mbps in my house, then I connected through the 4g to the vpn of my ac66u b1 and I ran the test and it gave me 46.5 / 6.52 Mbps .

I had trouble with OpenVPN on RT-AC86U and it got sorted after I flashed to Merlin so I would suggest trying that. One simple thing that helped me with connections being dropped was to disable Smart Connect or whatever ASUS call it where it automatically switches between 2,4/5G in case you have it enabled since it seems to be buggy. And then there's plenty of OpenVPN settings to investigate of course but I won't recommend anything in particular there. I don't know what your connection speed is but I'm getting the theoretical max of 100/100Mbps on this router with OpenVPN enabled so you should definitely not accept something that is much slower than expected. It depends on the VPN server too of course.

Thanks, already flashed with the latest Merlin Firmware. I have experience better connectivity connection, faster OpenVPN connection. I'm really pleased with Merlin TBH. Have one question about Merlin: When a new update of Merlin goes live, and I update my router, I need to reset it again?

I have an ac66u b1 with 384.19

First on my smartphone I have done a speed test through 4g and it gave me 56.6 / 7.48 Mbps in my house, then I connected through the 4g to the vpn of my ac66u b1 and I ran the test and it gave me 46.5 / 6.52 Mbps .

Normally you should experience some speed loss, you should check how your VPN Server provider is working and the server status.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!