What's new

RT-AC66U B1 poor wifi range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

polomora

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I've upgraded my old RT-N66 to a RT-AC66U B1. The N66 router was flashed with the latest Merlin firmware.
I've noticed that with the new AC66, the wifi range in the house is much worse than before. Has Asus deliberately crippled the new routers, to encourage people to extend with a mesh network?

According to Merlin's website, the AC66 is not supported. I had noticed that when I flashed the N66 with the Merlin firmware, the range seemed to increase, but the range now is even worse that with the stock N66 firmware.

Have the higher spec'd models from Asus better range?

Thanks,
Paul

Wifi transmission power has dramatically been reduced in 2015. With older firmware (and driver) you may still get much more coverage but less security, possibly not the big problem in AP-mode.
You could go with John's fork for your N66, he offers old and new wifi-driver versions (L=legacy or E=enhanced firmware).

Thanks for the replies. I see a slight difference in the firmware GUIs.

For the RT-N66U, it allows the broadcast power to be directly entered.
upload_2019-8-7_7-55-50.png

For the RT-AC66U-B1, it refers to performance. Does this equate to broadcast range?
upload_2019-8-7_7-56-42.png

The online manual refers to the same setting as the N66U. However, the manual used is for the AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Router.
TX Power adjustment: TX Power adjustment refers to the milliwatts (mW) needed to power the radio signal output of the wireless router. Enter a value between 0 to 100.​

I'll flash Merlin's firmware onto the AC66U-B1, and report back if I notice a wifi range difference.

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-7_8-3-59.png
    upload_2019-8-7_8-3-59.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 457
you wont get more power with Merlin, its based on stock!
You would have to use Johns fork L-version for 68U on your 66U_B1.

Grisu,

Looking at the home page for John's fork, I realise now that this is the firmware version I originally flashed on my N66U router, and which gave me the increased wifi range.
I didn't realise that this was based on another Merlin firmware repo.

Grisu,

Looking at the home page for John's fork, I realise now that this is the firmware version I originally flashed on my N66U router, and which gave me the increased wifi range.
I didn't realise that this was based on another Merlin firmware repo.

Did you load this up on your AC66U? I'd like to take this Asia for my in-laws house. They don't need blazing speeds as much as they need signal penetration through concrete walls.

Thats what he wrote!
You have to use the correct version for your model, RT-AC66U is different to RT-AC66U_B1 (which has same firmware as RT-AC68U).

Can the RT-AC68P also use the legacy version for the RT-AC68U (I think so, but want to check). I have one of those as my base router and an RT-AC66U_B1 extending my network. I was thinking of trying to grab another. refurbished RT-AC66U_B1 to replace a dying WL500gx to complete coverage. People here still think this router is a good bet? I've had no problems with mine (both running newer Merlin).

Can the RT-AC68P also use the legacy version for the RT-AC68U
Yes John's legacy firmware for the RT-AC68U is compatible with the RT-AC68P. However, why do you want to use the legacy version? John has dropped support for it and the last version of it (39L3) is over a year old now. John's current non-legacy version is 44EA.

@ColinTaylor, I was reading about WiFi strength issues, and that John's fork might improve coverage for me. But now I see that I was mixing up "legacy" and "fork." I meant "fork."

I last used John's firmware with an RT-N16 that died a premature death. It was my only Merlin option for that particular router.

@ColinTaylor, I was reading about WiFi strength issues, and that John's fork might improve coverage for me. But now I see that I was mixing up "legacy" and "fork." I meant "fork."
The WiFi strength issue was only really "a thing" with the RT-N66U. There was little practical difference between firmware versions on the later models IMHO. Although I suppose there are always edge cases.

Thanks, @ColinTaylor. I just notice this thread and thought maybe I'd found a way to improve my coverage through firmware. Maybe I will test it out on my RT-AC66U_BT1. And look for any advice about increasing transmission power without harming the device, if that's even advisable.

Thanks, @ColinTaylor. I just notice this thread and thought maybe I'd found a way to improve my coverage through firmware. Maybe I will test it out on my RT-AC66U_BT1. And look for any advice about increasing transmission power without harming the device, if that's even advisable.
Could you improve your wifi range installing the fork? I am currently using one AC66u b1 with stock firmware and i want to improve its wifi range. Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!