What's new

RT-AC66U- blocking outgoing emails.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

charley654

New Around Here
Please help, I am very frustrated.

MY RT-AC66U worked fine for 6 months now.
Using OEM firmware, just updated to latest Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.374_726 to see if it would solve the problem. it did not.

starting oct 10 morning, I was unable to send out email messages using Mozilla Thunderbird email.
Everything else works, incoming outgoing via GMail.
If I swap my AC66U router to my older Asus RT-N13U, problem solved. all works.

I am using win 7 64 home premium
My AC66u is pretty much stock with parental control activated and 5Ghz disabled.
ISP is time warner, email is POP, on port 25, (contacted Time warner- they do not see any problem on their end.
disabled win firewall, and security software. reboot, no luck.
power cycled cable modem and router.

where should I start looking ?

thank you

MY RT-AC66U worked fine for 6 months now.
Using OEM firmware, just updated to latest Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.374_726 to see if it would solve the problem. it did not.
Hi,

1.) I would install the latest firmware version from Asus (or even better the Merlin version) and do a factory reset after firmware install.

2.) Do only basic setup to get internet connection.

3.) Test the email sending!

I am quite sure that you problem will be gone! :)

Now you need to do step by step further settings and check which one is causing your email sending problem... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

thanks for the suggestion, I will do what you mentioned.

Why would it bungle up on its own? no one messed with any setting on the router.

Not so sure its the router...Mozilla Thunderbird did an upgrade yesterday.
Mine is working just fine thou.

Have you tried using port 587 for smtp?

Port 25 is often subject to blocking, and even if one of the flunky script-readers at TW said "nothing is wrong on our end", it is still possible they are blocking it on some IPs. And yes, it could be blocked for only one router because they have different MACs and are likely getting a different IP assigned for each router (unless you are adding a custom MAC to your config).

Last edited:
YEs , tried port 587,

Thunderbird was on 17.08.1 when things started messing, did the upgrade to ver 24, and to ver 24.01

also my AC66U was on whatever factory firmware from 6 months ago,
did also upgraded the latest.

no go still.

I do not run any script of signature file with my email. I don't run spams and virus check comes back ok.

What kind of irks me is that everything was working fine, nothing was messed with or changed, just humming along fine.

I will also give T.W.C an other call see if "an other cust service rep" may see something on their end.

Do not understimate the "reset to defaults" part on that instructions, seems unnecesary, but usually fixes problems like yours in most cases.

Specially if you upgraded from an old firmware version, with old drivers, without resseting (sometimes just works, but is VERY advisable to do it anyways)

Good news,

reflashed to the latest Merlin fw. without the need to do reset to default.
My email is working fine now. will see if my wireless and high speed is still there, if not I will do a reset too.

thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!