What's new

RT-AC66U bootlooping after flashing FreshTomato FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hexlocation

New Around Here
Hello!

I got an old RT-AC66U at a thrift store for 5 euros.

Flashed FreshTomato on it, which didn't go as planned.
Flashing the firmware worked, i set everything up, but after around 10/15 minutes or so, it began to bootloop.
I flashed the original firmware back, without success. It was still bootlooping
Hooked up my Pico (my USB2TTL died) to the UART pins, and erased the nvram.
I'm not sure what to do know or what causes it, because there aren't any big error messages
boot logs:

Couple things that stand out to me:
Bash:
Failed to execute /sbin/preinit.  Attempting defaults...
/dev/nvram: No such file or directory
vlan1: cmd=14 (errno 122): Operation not supported
_ifconfig: name=eth2 flags=1243 IFUP addr= netmawlc_phy_cal_init_acphy: NOT Implemented

If you've gotten back to a good known firmware for your model and version there's one last reset technique to try, see: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039077/
If the firmware is good and the reset is good and it's still not running, then maybe that's why it was $5 in the thrift store!

Seems to me the /dev/nvram directory has been removed rather than just wiped. Or the nvram is damaged. Last resort would be restore mode, if that's even possible now.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814

Seems to me the /dev/nvram directory has been removed rather than just wiped. Or the nvram is damaged. Last resort would be restore mode, if that's even possible now.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814
I have been flashing the firmware using Restore Mode. I think the physical chip is probably damaged then.

But anyways, i reflashed the FreshTomato firmware, and for some reason it works fine. Except for the fact that it still randomly reboots, after like 10 - 15 mins.

I have been flashing the firmware using Restore Mode. I think the physical chip is probably damaged then.

But anyways, i reflashed the FreshTomato firmware, and for some reason it works fine. Except for the fact that it still randomly reboots, after like 10 - 15 mins.

Did you test it out right after you got it before FT install? It is probably just overheating and crashing (nothing to do with FT necessarily), a common death for home routers. Sometimes you can get some more time out of it by attaching a fan.

Did you test it out right after you got it before FT install? It is probably just overheating and crashing (nothing to do with FT necessarily), a common death for home routers. Sometimes you can get some more time out of it by attaching a fan.
I actually didn't test it out too long after setting it up. It's getting really hot so i'll try to attach a fan.

Disregard all my previous responses, it's an ac router. D'oh! Senior moment.

Forgot to ask: are there any 12v pins i can solder to? Tried the TTL pins but they only supply 5V, i barely feel the fan.

Forgot to ask: are there any 12v pins i can solder to? Tried the TTL pins but they only supply 5V, i barely feel the fan.

You might end up overloading the power supply, I'd power it from a dedicated supply (any old 12V wall wart that you can cut the end off) or get a 5V USB fan that has a decent airflow at 500mw/5v which is what a lot of people do to make it easy. Don't invest any money - if the solder joints have cracked, even moderate temperature changes can cause it to reboot so the fan may not help.

Well, this is very weird. I set the WAN connection type to Static and filled it in, and set "Check connections" to every 30 seconds. From what i can see, it doesn't reboot anymore. I'll keep you updated if it starts to reboot again, but i guess it's solved for now.

EDIT: Nevermind, it rebooted on me literally right after i posted this. I did notice however, that it only occurs if the WAN port is plugged in

Well, this is very weird. I set the WAN connection type to Static and filled it in, and set "Check connections" to every 30 seconds. From what i can see, it doesn't reboot anymore. I'll keep you updated if it starts to reboot again, but i guess it's solved for now.

EDIT: Nevermind, it rebooted on me literally right after i posted this. I did notice however, that it only occurs if the WAN port is plugged in

If the fan doesn't help, it is dead. With no WAN connected, it isn't routing so not generating as much CPU load so maybe it will go longer before crashing. You can try using it as an AP. Honestly that router in perfect shape isn't worth 5 euro. Around me people give away the better 68Us on Facebook for free.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!