What's new

RT-AC66U can't handle my new 1 GIG DL cable. Recommend me a router:

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pulp

Regular Contributor
Office is on main floor with cable into 1GIG modem and ethernet to the
RT-AC66U with ethernet to PC and 2 wireless computers downstairs. I'm getting the 30mbps UL but stuck at 300mbps DL on the wired to router PC. It's a really old router.
Could you guys recommend me one, price is not a problem.

An RT-AC66U will still feel slow with a 1Gbps ISP connection. An RT-AC86U is the best bang for the buck. An RT-AX88U gets you into 2021 easily (both with RMerlin firmware, of course).

How about the #1 Ranked router NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S Smart WiFi Gaming Router (R7800) at only $10 more as opposed to your option of #5 ranked, 86U?
Do you have any particular requirements, other than 1Gb throughput? Almost any contemporary WiFi router can provide that. The problem comes when/if you start loading down your router with "extra features", like anti-virus, media servers, QoS, etc.

Feeling 'slow' is the experience I've seen on older routers vs. newer ones with 1Gbps ISP connections. They may reach the max speeds when tested, but browsing the internet is noticeably slower.

The R7800 was ranked #1 in 2016, not really applicable in 2020.

Ultimate is a pc running pfsense and use that said router with merlin wrt for wifi as an AP.
Office is on main floor with cable into 1GIG modem and ethernet to the
RT-AC66U with ethernet to PC and 2 wireless computers downstairs. I'm getting the 30mbps UL but stuck at 300mbps DL on the wired to router PC. It's a really old router.
Could you guys recommend me one, price is not a problem.

Do you have any particular requirements, other than 1Gb throughput? Almost any contemporary WiFi router can provide that. The problem comes when/if you start loading down your router with "extra features", like anti-virus, media servers, QoS, etc.

NONE. Just 2 people zooming downstairs and me upstairs. Typical stuff. Wifi has to be good, which it is but I'm paying for 1GIG DL yet not getting it.

Last edited:
The R7800 was ranked #1 in 2016, not really applicable in 2020.

But the Netgear still ahead by 4 places. You're saying it will still "feel slower" than he 86U?

Last edited:
Rankings are a 'point in time' assessment. 4 years of hardware and firmware/RMerlin upgrades make a difference.

Rankings are a 'point in time' assessment. 4 years of hardware and firmware/RMerlin upgrades make a difference.

Oh, I presumed they would have tested newer models up to this summer and thought the X4S was STILL the top performer. I don't understand their rating system I guess. LOL Not testing newer models or they don't bother to update the rankings? So weird... 4 years old still #1? How does this work...

Recommend me your newer #1 ranked router that can deliver my 1GIG DL and 30Mbps UL with reliable zoom connections to 2 downstairs PC's.

Already did.

But before buying new routers, do a full reset after updating to @john9527's firmware first.

The following link may also help to get your router to a good/known state.

Already did.

Picking this up:

ASUS (RT-AX88U) AX6000 Quad-Core Wireless 802.11ax Dual Band WiFi Adaptive QoS Router External antenna x 4,1.8 GHz quad-core processor,256 MB Flash,1 GB RAM,RJ45,USB 3.1

asus.PNG

Thank you sir! :cool:

Last edited:
@pulp, you will love your RT-AX88U (particularly with RMerlin firmware properly installed on it. Look for the M&M Config guide in my signature (link) below).

I would suggest you use/create brand new (never before used by any of your client devices) SSIDs to allow the router/client connections to be as optimized as possible. This is, after all, a huge step up from the RT-AC66U. :)

Why a new SSID? https://www.snbforums.com/threads/i...-ax88u-rt-ac86u-node.60551/page-2#post-532915