What's new

RT-AC66U constantly rebooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StephanBolten

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a very anoying problem: The router runs the latest Merlin Firmware since about a month. I haven't had a problem druing the last four weeks (at least not that I am aware of - since I did quite a lot of configuration and testing incl. rebooting manually). Since about a week or so the rooter reboots automatically. Sometimes it does it after a couple of hours (especially during night) sometimes it happens more often. Yesterday it rebooted after about 30 mins.

Looking at the log I can't see anything obvious - no errors - it just stops logging and the next entries are the restarting entries.

I have disabled almost everything special (VPN, AiCloud, USB disc access, etc.) without success. Next step would be completely resetting the router to ist factory defaults and reload the backed up config.

This is quite frustrating since I completely rely on a stable internet connection (telephone, TV is all done over IP)

Is there anything I could do about this? Maybe a log file which has more info or maybe I can increase logging level somewhere..... any help and hint very much appreciated.

Router: ASUS RT-AC66U
Merlin Firmware: 378.55

Regards,

Stephan

Yes, don't load your backed up config after resetting router. Config by hand again and only the most necessary and test.

clear.cache.gif

Is your device on a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply)? If not, there is no way to know if it is a power issue. I keep my router and modem on a UPS.

Posting the logs to pastebin would provide the experts the information needed to diagnosis root cause.

Last edited:
Use John's Nvram Utility script. You'll find the link to it in Merlins update portion of the forum.

No luck with the utility (save and then restore with Option clean). Had to reset the router and reconfigure everything. Now it works !!! :)

Gesendet von meinem JY-S3 mit Tapatalk

Is your device on a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply)? If not, there is no way to know if it is a power issue. I keep my router and modem on a UPS.

Posting the logs to pastebin would provide the experts the information needed to diagnosis root cause.
Hmmm,
If device AC adapter goes flaky, UPS can't help. UPS itself could be a source of problem too. In a situation like this, first two things I'd make sure is to check heat problem or AC adapter acting up. I have a cable made up for checking adapters. I can check DC voltage output as well as current draw with router. Voltage check alone without load(router not connected) can't guarantee anything. I also happen to have a oscilloscope with which I can visually check
the DC output uality. Temperature can be read from router I just use laster thermometer.

I don't have UPS, I have not used OEM AC adapter. Lab. grade universal PSU with V and A
meter is used to power router.

Last edited: