What's new

RT-AC66U doesn't boot up after reboot or unpluging from power outlet on latest Merlin's firmwares.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anton

New Around Here
I have a problem with my RT-AC66U. On firmwares higher than 380.57 router is working fine, until reboot or shutting down. After reboot it doesn't boots up, LEDs are blinking but Wi-Fi not working and router can't be reached via LAN connection. To make router boot up again, I need to turn it off, press and hold reset button and turn it on at the same time. After that I can access router's firmware restoration page, next step is Restore factory NVRAM settings and flash any firmware. After the firmware update process completes router successfully boots up and working fine but before next reboot :(
I've tried this firmware versions: 380.58_0, 380.59_0 and 380.61_0 and if one of them is installed I have a problem mentioned above. The last stable firmware version is 380.57_0, on this firmware and below I don't have such issues. I can reboot it or turn it off and it still working. The router is connected via an uninterruptible power supply. I'am rebooting router with reboot command via SSH. Maybe it is a hardware problem?
Please help me to resolve this issue.
P.S. Sorry for my bad English :)

It may be hardware. I have the same router and had all these fw's running on it.
Look at the syslog while it's running to get some clues. There may be some as the logfile is persistant during reboots.
Also, to make sure, run it on .57 again to rule out a recent hw failure.

It may be hardware. I have the same router and had all these fw's running on it.
Look at the syslog while it's running to get some clues. There may be some as the logfile is persistant during reboots.
Also, to make sure, run it on .57 again to rule out a recent hw failure.
Thank you for your reply.
The router currently running on the 380.57 and its running fine. I've rebooted and turn it off several times. I've already checked logs files and there is nothing here. It is simply doesn't boot up after reboot or power off. I can't see any logs after reboot, because to return router back to life I need to reflash it and restore factory settings. If I simply restore firmware without resetting NVRAM it doesn't boot up. If I reset NVRAM but don't restore firmware it doesn't boot up. Only solution to revive router is resetting NVRAM and restore firmware.

Do you have any usb devices connected to it? I would unplug it first.
Try again with 380.59_0 and turn of both wireless devices (2.4 and 5) and then reboot. Maybe it has to do with the wireless devices.

Do you have any usb devices connected to it? I would unplug it first.
Try again with 380.59_0 and turn of both wireless devices (2.4 and 5) and then reboot. Maybe it has to do with the wireless devices.
I thought about it and unplugging HDD's was my first move. But I try to disable wireless... I will post later with results.

I have found an Nvram reset after a new firmware install can get a non booting router to boot ok again.

The wireless devices is just a haunch, those can be disabled. Not sure if it actually disables the drivers to load. But it is worth a try.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!