What's new

RT-AC66u Keeps losing connection & rebooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elvasoshexai

New Around Here
I'm having some issues with my AC66u. It's been rock stable for about 6 months now running the merlin firmware. All of a sudden, it keeps rebooting. It randomly happens. sometimes every 10 min or so for 4-5 times. sometimes it doesn't happen for a few hours. Occasionally, it doesn't reboot automatically. But i'd lose internet connection for all wired/wireless connections, and have to reboot manually

Whenever I look at the logs, it doesn't seem to log what the issue is, it just seems to log the stuff from the reboot. i also seem to lose all the logs from Jan first onwards (every time, i only see up until Dec 31, and then the most resent reboot).

I'm not sure if these help at all, but they are from after the reboot:

Jan 25 11:22:43 rc_service: ntp 463:notify_rc restart_upnp
Jan 25 11:22:43 miniupnpd[462]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Jan 25 11:22:44 rc_service: ntp 463:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Jan 25 11:22:44 disk monitor: be idle
Jan 25 11:22:44 miniupnpd[472]: HTTP listening on port 46530
Jan 25 11:22:44 miniupnpd[472]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Jan 25 11:23:12 crond[341]: time disparity of 2139442 minutes detected

anyone have any ideas?

Mine keeps doing the same thing as well. But everytime it does restart the timestamp on first reboot reverts to Dec 31st and than updates the local time.

I've tried all different types of firmware, early 2014 to current and Merlins latest, still have the issue except that it doesn't restart as much as yours.

I'm having some issues with my AC66u. It's been rock stable for about 6 months now running the merlin firmware. All of a sudden, it keeps rebooting. It randomly happens. sometimes every 10 min or so for 4-5 times. sometimes it doesn't happen for a few hours. Occasionally, it doesn't reboot automatically. But i'd lose internet connection for all wired/wireless connections, and have to reboot manually

Whenever I look at the logs, it doesn't seem to log what the issue is, it just seems to log the stuff from the reboot. i also seem to lose all the logs from Jan first onwards (every time, i only see up until Dec 31, and then the most resent reboot).

I'm not sure if these help at all, but they are from after the reboot:

Jan 25 11:22:43 rc_service: ntp 463:notify_rc restart_upnp
Jan 25 11:22:43 miniupnpd[462]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Jan 25 11:22:44 rc_service: ntp 463:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Jan 25 11:22:44 disk monitor: be idle
Jan 25 11:22:44 miniupnpd[472]: HTTP listening on port 46530
Jan 25 11:22:44 miniupnpd[472]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Jan 25 11:23:12 crond[341]: time disparity of 2139442 minutes detected

anyone have any ideas?

Try another compatible power adapter :)

Input Volt Range: 110-240V / Output: 19V 2.1A 40W http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00GR7VWES/?tag=smallncom-20

Last edited:
I had issues with this with IPV6 enabled and Nat Acceleration. Turn off either one, and no reboot. Maybe try turning off Nat Acceleration?

Mine keeps doing the same thing as well. But everytime it does restart the timestamp on first reboot reverts to Dec 31st and than updates the local time.

This is normal, as the router doesn't have a battery backed up clock.

*sigh*

so I've tried turning off IPv6 & NAT Acceleration, bought a new power adapter, factory reset, it's always been sitting on top of a shelf and has wide open airflow since nothing is surrounding it... but the router is still unstable and constantly requires a reboot.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Or is my router done?

Edit: Actually, would a mod be able to move this over to the Asus AC Routers section? I think this should actually belong there

Last edited:
My parents AC66R that had a version of Merlin had this same problem according to them. Multiple reboots a day or having the internet speeds slow down to a hault so that you manually had to reset the router. I flashed the stock Asus firmware back and they haven't had any problems since, or at least any that were significant enough to have them tell me.

If i had to guess I would say the newest Asus firmware fixed it due to it polling the NTP time update multiple times throughout a day. I noticed on their router that if not reset for X amount of time would get log entries stating that the NTP time is out of sync by like X minutes or something like that. My AC68U also had the NTP time issue ( really wish i could remember exactly how the log stated it) on stock and merlin firmwares up until Asus' 3626 firmware i believe.

Keep in mind everything I am saying is more of a guess than the absolute truth

I have the same issue with my router. It was working fine for a while, but now it has started resetting every ~40 minutes. If you load DD-WRT or Tomato, the router will work just fine for days and days. I really wish someone could figure out what is going on.

If you have jffs storage enabled, there will be a copy of the syslog prior to the reboot placed there. telnet/ssh to the router and look in the syslog with '-1' as part of it's name. There may be more information as to what's happening there.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!