What's new

RT-AC66U Media Bridge Stability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CowMan

New Around Here
Hello folks;

My home has two houses on it, which I've linked by a wireless bridge. Previously I used a pair of Amped Wireless SR600 repeaters for this bridge, but after upgrading one of my AP's to a RT-AC66U I was tickled pink to find 5 GHZ signals in the lower house.

So I grabbed a second RT-AC66U, put it in media bridge mode, bumped the power a little bit and in short order had a faster 5 GHZ link with lower latency (from ~3-5ms to ~0.5ms) and SNMP support to boot. Initial impressions were excellent.

When it wasn't frozen that is. I thought at first the bridge was overheating, so I put an external fan on it. Temps dropped from 65+ to ~40c. I then reduced the wireless traffic, shutting down the 2.4 AP on the bridge and disabling the 2.4 radio. I did the same for LAN traffic, moved all the connected devices onto a GS108Tv2. I've tried a number of firmwares, including .270 & 374, on both units (currently on Merlin's .372_31). Most options have been flicked in the settings. So far, longest uptime is 2 days. Interference is not a problem - it takes a cold clear night to be able to even detect the next nearest AP, which is about a mile away (and is on 2.4ghz anyway).

The media bridge mode has had a number of other shortcomings - it doesn't bind to the AP MAC, so any AP with the same SSID and a slightly better signal will redirect it - potentially causing a loop. It passes multicast only if one manually navigates to the hidden settings pages and enables the IPTV settings (for example, I can now see iPods and iPads and iPhones from iTunes across the bridge), and no AirPlay (also, must be said, I hate Apple stuff!) with when connected to the other in AP mode. Most frustratingly though is that uptime - typically 4-6 hours.

The media bridge seems to fail predictably - first, DHCP resolution fails but those clients with an IP or static address continue to work. Then, routing to local addresses fail - SNMP shows devices down, they can't be pinged, but for some reason the router and access to the internet remain. After this, nothing crosses the bridge - and if left long enough, SSH/Telnet/web access to the bridge fails and it has to be manually power cycled.

There are a lot of clients (~30) crossing the bridge, but traffic is only averaging a couple GB a day. So while it does see steady traffic, certainly a lot of generic network announcements and the like, its nothing particularly arduous - or taxing for the hardware (CPU use is almost flat at 2%, never more than 4-6%).

I understand Asus is working on a media bridge fix. My last Asus router was a N-56U which was exceedingly stable for it's lifetime (consumed in an unrelated fire), and the AC66U in AP mode has been stellar as well. This media bridge mode remains the only caveat I've experienced - unfortunately while it's "promising", being quite fast - the constant rebooting is rather tedious.

Watching and waiting for that next firmware release...!!! Oh, also... grandest thanks to RMerlin. Your work is on the firmware and your posts on this forum are appreciated.

Your issues are not isolated, I have random resets aswell, I hope that new firmware comes with the improvements they are promising.

In my case the temporal fix was to keep both routers on 270 (using Merlin 270.26 firmware at the moment), but other users reported that they had also problems on this firmware with more than 8 clients on the media bridge side (that seems to be your case)

For now... we can only wait :)

Hello folks;

My home has two houses on it, which I've linked by a wireless bridge. Previously I used a pair of Amped Wireless SR600 repeaters for this bridge, but after upgrading one of my AP's to a RT-AC66U I was tickled pink to find 5 GHZ signals in the lower house.

So I grabbed a second RT-AC66U, put it in media bridge mode, bumped the power a little bit and in short order had a faster 5 GHZ link with lower latency (from ~3-5ms to ~0.5ms) and SNMP support to boot. Initial impressions were excellent.

When it wasn't frozen that is. I thought at first the bridge was overheating, so I put an external fan on it. Temps dropped from 65+ to ~40c. I then reduced the wireless traffic, shutting down the 2.4 AP on the bridge and disabling the 2.4 radio. I did the same for LAN traffic, moved all the connected devices onto a GS108Tv2. I've tried a number of firmwares, including .270 & 374, on both units (currently on Merlin's .372_31). Most options have been flicked in the settings. So far, longest uptime is 2 days. Interference is not a problem - it takes a cold clear night to be able to even detect the next nearest AP, which is about a mile away (and is on 2.4ghz anyway).

The media bridge mode has had a number of other shortcomings - it doesn't bind to the AP MAC, so any AP with the same SSID and a slightly better signal will redirect it - potentially causing a loop. It passes multicast only if one manually navigates to the hidden settings pages and enables the IPTV settings (for example, I can now see iPods and iPads and iPhones from iTunes across the bridge), and no AirPlay (also, must be said, I hate Apple stuff!) with when connected to the other in AP mode. Most frustratingly though is that uptime - typically 4-6 hours.

The media bridge seems to fail predictably - first, DHCP resolution fails but those clients with an IP or static address continue to work. Then, routing to local addresses fail - SNMP shows devices down, they can't be pinged, but for some reason the router and access to the internet remain. After this, nothing crosses the bridge - and if left long enough, SSH/Telnet/web access to the bridge fails and it has to be manually power cycled.

There are a lot of clients (~30) crossing the bridge, but traffic is only averaging a couple GB a day. So while it does see steady traffic, certainly a lot of generic network announcements and the like, its nothing particularly arduous - or taxing for the hardware (CPU use is almost flat at 2%, never more than 4-6%).

I understand Asus is working on a media bridge fix. My last Asus router was a N-56U which was exceedingly stable for it's lifetime (consumed in an unrelated fire), and the AC66U in AP mode has been stellar as well. This media bridge mode remains the only caveat I've experienced - unfortunately while it's "promising", being quite fast - the constant rebooting is rather tedious.

Watching and waiting for that next firmware release...!!! Oh, also... grandest thanks to RMerlin. Your work is on the firmware and your posts on this forum are appreciated.

More or less the same issues described in this thread http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=11166 the recommendation being that the Linksys WUMC710 bridge works and ASUS AC66U bridge, as you also point out, is broken! - in it's current state :(

I disabled the 2.4GHz radio and the MB has been up for 14 hours w/o rebooting. Maybe there's an issue with it bridging 2.4GHz traffic to the 5GHz side?

I disabled the 2.4GHz radio and the MB has been up for 14 hours w/o rebooting. Maybe there's an issue with it bridging 2.4GHz traffic to the 5GHz side?
I'm running Merlin build v3.0.0.4.372.31 and for the likes of me cannot find the "2.4ghz radio off"-button, on the MB Wireless page - Am I going blind? :-/

It's clearly visible in AP and Router mode, under Wireless.

It isn't shown. The page is there, just hidden.

Browse to "http://ipofmediabridge/Advanced_WAdvanced_Content.asp" and configure away.

It isn't shown. The page is there, just hidden.

Browse to "http://ipofmediabridge/Advanced_WAdvanced_Content.asp" and configure away.

Nothing hidden about this, this is the Professional tab under Wireless.

Interesting.....

Still going? no reboot.

Touch wood.
attachment.php

Attachments

• stillgoing.jpg
    stillgoing.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 3,626
attached is the uptime pattern I've seen. Every now and again, it'll hit a full day...

Attachments

• uptime-ac66u.png
    uptime-ac66u.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 974
Still going :).
attachment.php

Before making the change I longest I made it was 3 hours, so I'm feeling confident. Obviously still to early to tell and reproducibility by another unit would be very useful.

BTW. I've engaged ASUS PR in helping me find a fix (planning to review the units). Anything you guys can do to collect useful metrics around this issue would be awesome.

Attachments

• stillgoing.JPG
    stillgoing.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 3,704
Disabling the 2.4 radio

Howdy.

I've just found this forum in an effort to improve the stability of our new AC66U to AC66U media bridge, which I set up yesterday and has needed rebooting three times.

I visited http://bridgeIP/Advanced_WAdvanced_Content.asp and see the option to disable the 2.4 radio but the firmware will not allow me to apply the setting. No error message or anything, the apply button simply does not activate. This is using both the stock (latest) firmware and Merlin's fork, as well as using chrome, firefox and IE. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

What also interests me is the fact that the professional settings allow you to view the SSID settings for the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. The 2.4 SSID follows my input in the final screen of the bridging process but the 5 SSID is 'ASUS_5G_Guest1' with open encryption. Is this just a placeholder for the actual bridge?

I would also be grateful if someone could confirm whether connecting wireless N devices to the 5GHz band on the host router will degrade the wireless AC capability of the media bridge.

Thanks folks.

Perhaps a clue, just put the kids to bed and returned to find the router locked up and a telnet session dropped...

Code:
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp# eapol_sup_process_key: wl1.6: decryption of key data failed
nas_handle_error: wl1.6: NAS encountered a non recoverable Error, so resetting the board

Connection closed by foreign host.
cowman@MiniWhippet:~$ telnet 192.168.2.220
Trying 192.168.2.220...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host
cowman@MiniWhippet:~$

After disabling the 2.4GHz radio, I haven't had any random reboots and it's been several days. That said, the device is still not solid and needs to be periodically rebooted to reestablish the connection to the router AP.

Seems like repeater mode of beta firmware did the trick for me... uptimes greater than 10 hours were absolutely impossible with media bridge on latest firmwares
62ih.png

Seems like repeater mode of beta firmware did the trick for me... uptimes greater than 10 hours were absolutely impossible with media bridge on latest firmwares
62ih.png

Where did you get this firmware?

I installed the latest build of RMerlin's FW (3.0.0.4.374.32) on the media bridge earlier today and even w/ the 2.4GHz radio enabled it has been stable. Could this be the cause:

Code:
Various bugfixes (like the crash on VPN/NAT Loopback access of LAN devices)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!