What's new

RT-AC66U Merlin 380.70 2.4GHz channel missing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ruasonid

Regular Contributor
The 2.4GHz channel is missing and dropped connected devices. Could not connect again nor connect to 5GHz so rebooted and 5GHz now available. Tried another power off reboot with only 5GHz appearing after. Obviously, the device is now a few years old and I'm wondering if the 2.4 circuitry has failed. It would be a pain to re-flash the firmware and I'm not confident it would work. Any ideas please?

The 2.4GHz channel is missing and dropped connected devices. Could not connect again nor connect to 5GHz so rebooted and 5GHz now available. Tried another power off reboot with only 5GHz appearing after. Obviously, the device is now a few years old and I'm wondering if the 2.4 circuitry has failed. It would be a pain to re-flash the firmware and I'm not confident it would work. Any ideas please?

Sounds like a working router is now failing. I'd shop for a replacement.

I'd also re-install (flash, reset, configure from scratch) the router to see if it can be recovered... and try different 2.4 channels. But you'll enjoy a new router, if you can afford it.

OE

Sounds like a working router is now failing. I'd shop for a replacement.

I'd also re-install (flash, reset, configure from scratch) the router to see if it can be recovered... and try different 2.4 channels. But you'll enjoy a new router, if you can afford it.

OE
Thanks. Any suggestions for a new router? VPN important. I'm using a Huawei modem if it makes any difference.

Thanks. Any suggestions for a new router? VPN important. I'm using a Huawei modem if it makes any difference.

The RT-AC86U is a worthy and established AC router with hardware encryption for strong VPN performance. Beyond that is the AX86U... not quite WiFi 6e and costs more... I'm not sure of its VPN performance but probably as good or better.

The RT-AC86U is suspected of running on the warmer side, but I suspect a lot of newer routers without fans are going to exhibit this. If you intend to hold onto it for 8 years, you might want to consider a newer (but less known) option. Me, I'd consider the AC86U knowing I will want to upgrade to AX in 2-4 years.

OE

To determine (better) if the router is failing or not, follow the suggestions below.

Before doing so, I would suggest flashing the latest firmware available from @john9527 first. Not only to better secure your network but to also take advantage of the latest changes to wireless protocols too.

Fully Reset Router and Network

(1) Release - [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374 LTS release 48E2 | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

If the router is found defective (hardware-wise), only then would I consider purchasing a new one then.

The RT-AC86U is the best 'entry-level' router today. The RT-AC66U_B1 is also worthy of consideration if found at considerable cost savings too (with lower ISP and VPN performance, of course).

The RT-AC86U is a worthy and established AC router with hardware encryption for strong VPN performance. Beyond that is the AX86U... not quite WiFi 6e and costs more... I'm not sure of its VPN performance but probably as good or better.

The RT-AC86U is suspected of running on the warmer side, but I suspect a lot of newer routers without fans are going to exhibit this. If you intend to hold onto it for 8 years, you might want to consider a newer (but less known) option. Me, I'd consider the AC86U knowing I will want to upgrade to AX in 2-4 years.

OE
Thanks. I've been looking at the AC86U for some time. I guess my hand is now forced. I tend to hold on and only replace when I have to. Cannot justify the costs of the AX.

To determine (better) if the router is failing or not, follow the suggestions below.

Before doing so, I would suggest flashing the latest firmware available from @john9527 first. Not only to better secure your network but to also take advantage of the latest changes to wireless protocols too.

Fully Reset Router and Network

(1) Release - [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374 LTS release 48E2 | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

If the router is found defective (hardware-wise), only then would I consider purchasing a new one then.

The RT-AC86U is the best 'entry-level' router today. The RT-AC66U_B1 is also worthy of consideration if found at considerable cost savings too (with lower ISP and VPN performance, of course).
Thanks for that.

On checking this morning the 2.4GHZ band seems to be back. Possibly an intermittent fault/on the way out.

I'll try the flash as suggested above and see how it goes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!