What's new

RT-AC66U or RT-N66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

advenbbs

Occasional Visitor
If price or expectation is not a factor, and both loaded with latest stock firmware, which one physically works better with current 802.11n devices on an absolute performance basis? Same or still R66U rocks?

1. The review was done on or before Aug 20, 2012, so it didn't take into consideration of latest major firmware updates (which was reported to fix a lot of negative review points).
2. The review was based on price/expectation. It expects more because of higher price. So the review became negative biased when it didn't see more in performance or features. But I'm looking for absolute performance, assuming you can get the units at same price.
3. Given its newer generation chipset, larger flash, more capability for powerful firmware, doesn't the AC66U have higher abosolute value? Or is it the case that ASUS screwed up by making worse product from better hardware? ie. It made 1+1 < 1 (instead of = 2)? btw, it seems to drop the microSD slot that came with N66U.

Anyway, the closing thoughts in the AC66U review are pretty negative, almost = no go... sigh, thought AC66U is at least as good as RT66U if not much better, no? The review is not as good because the expectation is higher, it's less reliable, or any other factors?

I understand you, but I don't own a AC66U so I can't give you an honest opinion. Wait for more replies.

- lfbb

I understand you, but I don't own a AC66U so I can't give you an honest opinion. Wait for more replies.

- lfbb

My assumption is, if prices are the same, why not get a AC one? Unless AC really became worse than the N66U... even by just a little bit.

I actually have both here. An RT-AC66U that acts as my main router, and an RT-N66U which used to be my main router, and is now dedicated to FW development.

To be honest, I saw no notable difference in performance between the two routers in my particular setup (note that this will vary for everyone based on their particular environment). Sure, maybe if I were to run benchmarks I might a see a difference of a few mbits here and there. Part of this would be attributed to the fact that the newer router doesn't have a driver that is as mature yet as the older router. But for day-to-day usage, I'd say the two should give the same performance for me. So unless constantly transferring multi-gig amounts of data where saving a few seconds off a transfer matters, it shouldn't be an issue.

The one issue that came up in some reviews (especially the CNet one) was that the RT-AC66U seemed to do poorly in a situation where there was a lot of interference from other routers. That's why the SNB review had better results, as it had a clearer environment. Asus took note of that difference, and are actively working on improving the wireless driver. The first step was the new Enhanced Interference Management option that was recently added. There should also be a wireless driver update coming in the near future which should hopefully help even more improve general stability in such environment.

So bottom line, it mostly comes down to price. Is it worth paying the premium for RT-AC66U? Some people think it isn't. Some are also worried that the fact the 802.11ac standard is still draft could potentially lead to compatibility issues a few years from now (personally, I doubt it).