What's new

RT-AC66U + RT-N66U users plz help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

connorm

ok so i have a d link dir 655, rev b and it works great for me i simply am upgrading for better wifi signal so i figured it would be a bit silly to get the d link dir 868l even tho that would be my only other choice, its cheaper, and i would much prefer to stay with d link, however im about ready to take the plunge and try the asus.

There is one thing that is driving me crazy though and that is asus lack of support for something as simple as d links shareport app, when u use shareport, it treats the drive as if it were directly plugged into usb, it doesnt see it on the network ect, this is EXACTLY what i NEED and want, my current setup i use a 500gb drive connected to my computer through the shareport app, when i download something, it goes straight to that drive as if it were connected to my computer, then i go onto my jailbroken apple tv, and i use the app infuse to access files on my pc (IT DOES NOT ACCESS NETWORK DRIVES, ITS ACCESES PC's AND DRIVES ATTACHED TO A PC) and i watch videos though the apple tv over wifi, also i use this drive for my itunes so that anywhere in my house i have access to it without bringing this drive around

considering the asus has 2 usb ports and all these stupid unnecessary features it would be pretty dumb if the asus couldnt do exactly what the d link can, but out of all the usb options, out of all the tutorials, i cant find anyone that has anything close to a setup like this , and all the complicated stuff they put in looks really frustrating, so im really confused why everyone complains about shareport app considering its one of the best features ive ever used on any router

edit: when i go to my apple tv to add new shares, it accepts nfs, or smb, not dlna, tho if i could hookup directly to the drive with no pc that would be ideal i guess that way i could turn of my pc and still watch stuff on apple tv, but also i have my itunes on this shared drive so i think it needs to be connected through my pc as a regular drive

so PLZ if anyone can simply let me know that is it possible to have a drive connected through the asus routers pop up on the computer as a drive on the computer and NOT AS A NETWORK DRIVE, plz tell me how, and show some pictures if u can, i want the asus but i will have to go with the d link if i cant keep my very convenient NAS media streaming setup

Last edited:
Perhaps something for Jeremy at Asus to answer ?

Seems to me that your question should be something for Jeremy at Asus who is a member of this forum to answer. If no answer and you think this is an important issue for you don't by the Asus..

There is one thing that is driving me crazy though and that is asus lack of support for something as simple as d links shareport app

The SharePort feature isn't really that simple... It would require Asus to develop software drivers for Windows and MacOS. Unfortunately, it's not something that can just be enabled real quick...

edit: when i go to my apple tv to add new shares, it accepts nfs, or smb, not dlna, tho if i could hookup directly to the drive with no pc that would be ideal i guess that way i could turn of my pc and still watch stuff on apple tv, but also i have my itunes on this shared drive so i think it needs to be connected through my pc as a regular drive

The Asus routers DO support both SMB and NFS sharing, so you should be able to get that working. I'm pretty sure ITunes can store it's library on a network share as well.