What's new

RT-AC66U slow speeds with Merlin and Tomato

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jteeen

New Around Here
I just changed over from my local ISP's router to my own, a brand new AC66U. At the time of the changeover I did some tests and got my 100/100 that I'm supposed to. Went to lunch, came back, and now it's pretty much stuck around 20 down / 5 up. I've tried the latest Asus firmware , Merlin, and Tomato.

Tomato runs full speed but doesn't have any AC settings or settings for 5 GHZ. I've cleared the NVram, turned the acceleration toggle on/off with no success.

I have repeatably verified this by going back hardwired to my ISP and I get the 100/100. I even got around 90/90 on my phone which I have a screenshot of prior to the slowdown. I also verified the speeds with torrents and I get the 100/100 or 20/5 depending on direct versus the router. Since Tomato works, and the other two don't, could it be a firmware or setting issue? I have about a week before my return window is up with Amazon.

After resetting my ONT (fiber) I was able to get 10MB, 100mbit down over wireless. I then moved the router to another room where it will stay, and now I'm back down to 10-20mbit. Seems like it's some sort of negotiation issue between this firmware and my ONT. Reset didn't work this time around.

Try a new cat5e cable between the router and modem.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

I tried that and it worked last night, now after a reboot this morning we are back to 10-20 down and 0-5 up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Well I picked up a Netgear and it works fine, so it was definitely something with the router. Sent it back to Amazon.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I had slow speeds on my own AC66u , which is why i stopped using it years back , but i recently got fed up with my ISP's modems they send me for my Fiber , and im running a 500/500 connection , but with the new official bios 3.0.0.4.380_8120 for the RT-AC66U from Asus them selves it runs 500/500 for now, but i guess i will see if it starts to throttle it self down again, if so i might get a tad pissed :p

Now i just need to figure out why even with port forwards open , i'm still not getting green light from my uTorrent......

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!