What's new

[RT-AC66U] tcpdump and nmap crashing router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EugeneZ

New Around Here
Hello! I recently switched to 374.43 Merlin FW on my RT-AC66U and started to explore a wonderful world of entware and Linux in general. Unfortunately I hit a few bumps along the way...

I installed nmap 6.40-1 (current version) and whenever I try to run it with or without argument on any host it works (even shows open and closed ports) for a bit and then after a few seconds sends my router into a reset. The same goes with tcpdump (4.5.1-4, once again current version), it works for a few seconds, show packets and then crashes along with my router.

Whatever goes wrong is not being recorded in syslog and I am not yet linux-savvy enough to find and access kernel logs and dumps (if at all possible, since I believe they reside in RAM?). Can anybody with the same HW/FW/SW confirm or disprove that it is indeed a common occurrence with those programs or not? Any advice with regards to further debugging and fixing the situation would be much appreciated. After all these two programs are very important in a small home LAN and nigh impossible to get by without.

Thank you very much in advance!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!