What's new

RT-AC66U Tx Power Adjustment sets higher than 100mW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pulp

Regular Contributor
The java pop-up from cursor states maximum is 100mW. But the Column next to it states:

"Set the capability for transmission power. The maximum value is 200mW and the real transmission power will be dynamically adjusted to meet regional regulations."

I set mine to 110mw but can set it much higher.... how so? It's not restricting to 100 like the pop-up states or IS IT and what it shows is not correct. Also, do most people just leave it at Default 80mW? Where do you set it at?

Attachments

• txpower.JPG
    txpower.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,564
Last edited:
Personally I don't waste my time with output power adjustment. This will be useless if your client at the other end is still unable to reach your router back with its own signal. It's like yelling louder, but the person answering you is still mumbling.

The only way to really improve range is by using better antennas.

The java pop-up from cursor states maximum is 100mW. But the Column next to it states:

"Set the capability for transmission power. The maximum value is 200mW and the real transmission power will be dynamically adjusted to meet regional regulations."

I set mine to 110mw but can set it much higher.... how so? It's not restricting to 100 like the pop-up states or IS IT and what it shows is not correct. Also, do most people just leave it at Default 80mW? Where do you set it at?

There was a good convo on usable power and how to measure the other day here on this thread: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12746&highlight=power

I think the pop up means that internally it will limit it, but you can type whatever you want and it will display what you typed, not what it's putting out.

But just turning that higher is of limited use and will kill your router, definitely look at that thread, and search the forums here for "power" and you will find all the info.

Long story short, I personally, in my home with its RF environment have APs and bridges that run from 50-120mw, and I've dialed them in by testing them.

Keep an eye on your temps and check your actual observed throughput, not just "signal bars," etc.

hth

So i Take it keeping mine set at 200mW in my 3 house neighborhood is not a good idea? not from interference, but in terms of the routers life?

So i Take it keeping mine set at 200mW in my 3 house neighborhood is not a good idea? not from interference, but in terms of the routers life?

Correct. With any power adjustment you should measure: router temps (in admin UI); device connect rate; device RSSI; device SNR and/or noise; and ideally an easily repeatable file transfer test on your LAN - that's the bare minimum to check before & after any power change. And I would check it from 3 locations in your space of increasing distance from AP.

The router life is easy to get insight to by the temps, but I think you'll also find that simply doubling the power at AP will not make your network faster & more reliable.

Overly simplistic analogy but turning your stereo volume from 5 to 10 doesn't double the distance or loudness of whatever is playing.

And heat is the enemy of most consumer electronics.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!