What's new

RT-AC66U upgrade to AC or AX (86 or 88)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ruasonid

Regular Contributor
I held off an upgrade pending a decision between cable or fibre and finally went for the latter and a 150mbps service initially. I will purchase a new router before the install early June. I was considering the AC86U (bang for the buck) though want to make sure it can last me a few years. Sometimes there are offers/lower prices on the other products which could put them within reach. I've noted that the AC88U is an older product. Is the AC86U OK or should I consider an 86 AX or 88 AC or AX?

Likely to upgrade fibre speeds in a year or two (speeds depends on available deals but could be gig in a few years time)
Upload speeds important
The 8 gig ports of the 88 are attractive as I still use a lot of wired devices
AC66U will be redeployed in an outbuilding (60' away) via a wired link
Parental controls needed
Merlin support
VPN support
Reliable
It will be great if I can backup my 66 and restore onto the new device
File transfer speeds (local) important though I use a cable between the router and NAS
Approx 20 devices online
Occasional gaming use (online)

AX86U is my first recommendation as I have one. The AC86U is also great as I ran one for a year and am about to donate it to a not for profit office.