What's new

RT-AC66U will not see WAN connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nucleartiger

New Around Here
I am replacing a draft N Linksys router that is starting to require resets to have wireless and wired connection.

I followed all the instructions in the manual for the new router and will not see the WAN connection to my modem. I talked to ASUS support and walked through the router setup through the browser. No matter what we tried with resetting the router or the modem it just will not connect to the modem. I reconnected my old router and within 2 minutes the old router was up and providing internet connection.

The modem is a Scientific Atlanta Webstar from Time Warner cable and Earthlink. When the modem and router are restarted the WAN light comes on solid (after the light test) and then it goes off, at the same time the modem data lights blink like it has connection then everything goes off. So at this point I am thinking that it is a compatability issue between the router and the modem.

Any suggestions or ideas to try? I have had to deal with TWC to get a new modem before so I am sure its going to be like pulling teeth to get a different model/brand of modem. OR should I just take the ASUS back and get the Netgear R6300?

What cables are you using . minimum cat5e between the modem and router and your pc and the router.

I am replacing a draft N Linksys router that is starting to require resets to have wireless and wired connection.

I followed all the instructions in the manual for the new router and will not see the WAN connection to my modem. I talked to ASUS support and walked through the router setup through the browser. No matter what we tried with resetting the router or the modem it just will not connect to the modem. I reconnected my old router and within 2 minutes the old router was up and providing internet connection.

The modem is a Scientific Atlanta Webstar from Time Warner cable and Earthlink. When the modem and router are restarted the WAN light comes on solid (after the light test) and then it goes off, at the same time the modem data lights blink like it has connection then everything goes off. So at this point I am thinking that it is a compatability issue between the router and the modem.

Any suggestions or ideas to try? I have had to deal with TWC to get a new modem before so I am sure its going to be like pulling teeth to get a different model/brand of modem. OR should I just take the ASUS back and get the Netgear R6300?

What cables are you using . minimum cat5e between the modem and router and your pc and the router.

I am using the included cat5e between modem and router and a cat 6 between router and computer. I tried multiple cables between each location including the previous cables in their original positions just with the new router.

Last edited:
Try powering off your modem and leaving it off for 10 mins, then try again. Cable modems can be picky if you move them to a new router, they might be unable to obtain a new DHCP lease from the ISP unless you keep the modem offline for at least a few minutes.

You could also try cloning the old router's WAN MAC address.

Try powering off your modem and leaving it off for 10 mins, then try again. Cable modems can be picky if you move them to a new router, they might be unable to obtain a new DHCP lease from the ISP unless you keep the modem offline for at least a few minutes.

You could also try cloning the old router's WAN MAC address.

I left it unplugged overnight. Still won't connect. Just bought a Motorola surfboard modem. Hopefully that will work.

Motorola SB6120 wouldn't connect to router

I have Comcast internet and my modem ran fine when I used the Linksys E4200. I got the RT-AC66R and it worked fine for a few hours and then it stopped working. Modem was online and so was the router, but I couldn't access any website on my tablet. I turned on my computer and tried to ping an address and it failed too. Powered off everything for a few minutes and it still didn't work. I figured I had a bad router, so I connected my computer directly to the modem and I still had no internet. Power cycled the modem again by removing the coaxial cable first and tried it again. Now I had internet access, so I connected the router again and lost internet access on everything again. Called Comcast and the rep told me t o power off the router and he would send a signal to my modem because he noticed there was an error on some file for the modem. He sent the signal and after a few minutes I powered on the router and I was back online. No issues since then! :)

After spending about 3 hours on the phone between ASUS and Tiime Warner Cable we didn't get anywhere other than to try and change out the modem. I finally went out and bought a motorola surfboard modem. Everything connected and has been rock solid since then.

Sometimes older hardware and newer hardware don't get along.

I found this out alot trying to setup VPN tunnels between different hardware and different ISP's. Some would work and others wouldn't.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!