What's new

RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kimmie023

New Around Here
Hi everybody. I am currently running Merlin 380.70 on my RT-AC66U, and I know it's obsolete now. I need to either go back to Asus firmware or John's fork, however I don't have a great understanding of networking so I'm looking for step by step instructions. I've tried reading through several forums, but it just created more confusion. It would be greatly appreciated if somebody can walk me through the whole process. Thanks for your time.

To go from Merlin 380.70 to stock Asus firmware I think you can do that through the web interface as normal. Remember to do a factory reset after fully completing the update.

To go to John's firmware I think you will have to use Recovery Mode (followed by a factory reset).

To go from Merlin 380.70 to stock Asus firmware I think you can do that through the web interface as normal. Remember to do a factory reset after fully completing the update.

To go to John's firmware I think you will have to use Recovery Mode (followed by a factory reset).

Isn't there something different that needs to be done if running firmware above 374? Like I said, I read other postings, but just got more confused.

Isn't there something different that needs to be done if running firmware above 374? Like I said, I read other postings, but just got more confused.
Like I said, if you want to use John's firmware you're going from 380 to 374 so you need to use recovery mode. If you go to Asus' firmware you're going from 380 to 382, so you can use the web interface.

There were some issues with really old firmwares, but you're on 380 so that's OK.

Ok, so basically, I login and click factory default restore. That wipes everything, but still leaves me on 380? If so, then I upload the new stock Asus firmware, and once installed, do another factory default restore. When that's completed, everything should be good to go?

Yep. :) Although the first factory reset is not strictly necessary (it can be helpful if the router is currently misbehaving).

The first time the router boots up after installing the new firmware it will force you to go through the initial setup procedure (passwords, SSIDs, etc.). Don't spend too much time here as the only objective at this stage is to be able to log on to the router so that you can navigate to the "factory reset" page. After doing this reset you will again be forced into the initial setup procedure. Now you can setup your router properly.

You are awesome!! Thank-you for such a quick reply. I am going to do this today. Hopefully things go well, and I will be able to get back online to let you know how it went. :)

Oh, forgot to say.... Sometimes just after uploading the new firmware on these older models the router hangs on the initial reboot. If this happens to you just wait 5 minutes to be sure and if it still hasn't come back just turn off the power, wait 30 seconds and turn it back on. It should now boot up normally.

I'm not saying this will happen to you. I just wanted to let you know that it's a possibility and not to panic. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!