What's new

RT-AC66U_B1 can't get NAS working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aross1976

Occasional Visitor
Ok so i have been trying to get NAS setup on this router for like 4 days now with no luck at all.

I got a new 3.5 4TB WD red drive, and installed it into a 3.5" USB 3.0 enclosure,formatted it to GPT NTFS with diskmgnt as one partition , the router recognized it but when i
did a scan from the routers network map page it said the drive had errors.
The drive showed up in windows 8.1 under this PC>network locations>RT AC66U_B1>
but i was not able to write to the drive.
Next i tried cleaning the drive and hooking it up after cleaning and converting it to GPT
still not working , after moving the drive back and forth form the PC and the router a few times i gave up for the night.
The next day i tried it again after a factory reset of the router but this time the router did not even recognize anything being plugged into the USB port so i took the drive back to the PC and then it was not being seen by the PC either directly plugged into it .
So today i returned the drive enclosure and got another one, tested it on the PC and it works fine ,then i plug it into the routers 3.0 port and it is not being detected at all by the router , says no USB device detected
not sure what is going on here.
After factory reset and restoring my setting config file the USB 3.0 is not even showing any USB device is connected

Did you set the USB 3 port to USB 3? That port has a drop down that you need to select. Also, create at least one folder on the drive before you insert it into the router. Either gpt or mbr should work.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

I got a new 3.5 4TB WD red drive, and installed it into a 3.5" USB 3.0 enclosure,formatted it to GPT NTFS with diskmgnt as one partition , the router recognized it but when i did a scan from the routers network map page it said the drive had errors.
Don't use the router's scan function for NTFS drives, it frequently reports false errors.

The drive showed up in windows 8.1 under this PC>network locations>RT AC66U_B1> but i was not able to write to the drive.
You need to log into the router, go to the Samba configuration, create a shared folder and assign permissions to users.

After factory reset and restoring my setting config file the USB 3.0 is not even showing any USB device is connected
Try plugging the enclosure into the USB 2 socket.

Don't use the router's scan function for NTFS drives, it frequently reports false errors.

You need to log into the router, go to the Samba configuration, create a shared folder and assign permissions to users.

Try plugging the enclosure into the USB 2 socket.

yes i called support the 1st time i tried to set it up they guided me through the samba share ans set up the user and the folder and set the permissions but it was still never letting me write to the drive.

ok so i now i know not to use the scan function
so what about the formatt function?
do i also not want to use this?
seem like every time i use it and plug the drive back to the PC i see like 5 or 6 partitions and need to clean the drive and wipe it back to one partition not sure what the format option is for in the router it is not explained anywere

the problem i am having now is that the USB 3 port on the router is not detecting anything at all not since the factory reset it says nothing is plugged in.
should i try to plug in my drive and reboot the router with e drive connected?

Did you set the USB 3 port to USB 3? That port has a drop down that you need to select. Also, create at least one folder on the drive before you insert it into the router. Either gpt or mbr should work.

no i didn't i do not see that setting /drop down anywhere are you sure that it has it for my model
my router has 2 ports one is 3.0 the other is 2.0
on the main router page there are just 2 button one for USB2.0 and one for USB 3.0
both greyed out
i had the drive being recognized before without doing any of that if it even exists on this model router and FW

i just tried another USB drive, 3.5" external segate 3TB and it still is not detecting it
says no USB connected

Last edited:
I'm assuming that as these are 3.5" enclosures they have their own independent power supplies?

Look in the router's syslog for error message appearing when you plug the USB drive in.

I'm assuming that as these are 3.5" enclosures they have their own independent power supplies?

Look in the router's syslog for error message appearing when you plug the USB drive in.
yes you assume correct
they are powered 3.5 enclosures
well the one i just plugged in is a seagate external drive with power
the other is a DIY enclosure with power

Last edited:
ok i plugged the seagate drive into the 2.0 port and it mounted ,i saw stuff in the log, i unmounted the drive and then i tired it in the 3.0 port and there is nothing in the log at all
maybe the faulty enclouse fried the port?

let me ask what would happen if i buy a new router of the exact model and try and restore the config file backup i took from this router to it?
would it still work? or can i only restore the file to exact same router?

i assume the new router would have a new MAC address
so i want to know if all my smarthome stuff will work the same , smartthings, IFTTT stringify etc. if i need to end up replacing this router
also open DNS services like NOIP
i have lots of things setup for smart home and it would take a long time to set it all up again
so i wan to know if i can replace my router with the same exact model and restore the cfg file and have everything work the same

because now i m starting to think that the other enclosure that went bad and would not even read on my PC did something to the USB3 port on the router

let me ask what would happen if i buy a new router of the exact model and try and restore the config file backup i took from this router to it?
would it still work? or can i only restore the file to exact same router?
You should not do that. The settings file is only for making backups for that particular router. The backup file contains settings that are specific to that model, like MAC addresses.

Last edited:
Yes, if you get another RT AC66U B1 you can use the saved settings. I bet the USB 3 port is not bad. Tey a USB 2 thumb drive in it. Factory reset the router and set it up manually. My RT AC66U B1 has been rock solid for over a year!

Yes, if you get another RT AC66U B1 you can use the saved settings.
You should not do this. You're just asking for trouble. And when you're already in the middle of trying to diagnose problems with the router the last thing you need is the uncertainty of loading hardware settings of one router onto another. There's a reason why people always suggest doing a factory reset when the router is behaving badly.

You should not do that. The settings file is only for making backups for that particular router. The back file contains settings that are specific to that model, like MAC addresses.
Ok Asus support told me it would be ok
but it doesn't matter because they also got the USB 3.0 working now
by downgrading the FW to the previous version
,so it is not a hardware issue with the port at least
even though the other drive did get detected on this same FW, maybe it was the reboot that did it
or maybe it was the downgrade.

ok solved it
i had to map the drive in Windows
i thought i did but then it would not let me do it before there was no option in windows explorer>computer
map network drive, it would not let me browse folder in the map network drive window for some reason
i could see the router name but was not able to browse
then i asked like 3 different asus support agents and they said i didn't need to do that and that i shouldn't need to configure anything in windows for it to work
That didn't sound right to me so i tried to use the ai cloud app and at first it didn't work and took forever to access even folders on my PC then it finally worked and i could get access to my PC, then i tried the HDD on then3,0 port and was able to use it
so then i knew it had to be a windows issue so i tried to go to map network drive again and it worked and let me select the folder
I was finally able to map the drive after the reboot and getting the USB 3.0 port working again

now i am just trying to figure out how to set up the drive so that i can access over WAN ,i got it working over LAN with my PC and android ai cloud app

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!