What's new

RT AC68/AC86 antenna on cable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dominik

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I'm looking for more information about extending antennas (on cables) on those two routers,
I know they have four antennas, one is internal, three can be detached. I would like to know which one is for 2.4G and for 5G.
Already I made some experiments with that, put antennas on cables, one outside building (10m antenna) and one on back side of wall (where it's poor wifi signal). Results were good - I've got almost full wifi signal when antenna is visible for phone, and much better signal inside (not only on romm where router is plugged). So far I can tell that it's working and I could extend signal without buying new aiMesh routers. Now I'm looking for any information that will improve that setup. Any ideas?

I've seen threads about that as well here, there are antenna's with a cable but you have to watch which ones and how to place them as all 3 (on this model) work together and independent at the same time. I've settled on 180degr directional's and set them to cover 210degr which works overall a lot better (15-20%) then the original omni. In most cases you don't need omni cover which means wasting signal in areas there are no clients or clients which are so close wasting any boost omni gives at short ranges. If you have 3 areas (3x90degr) to cover its much better to use such directionals (with or without longer cables).

They work together - do You know more about that? I'm trying to figure out what can be extended on cable, which antenna and what bands are there?
As I said I was able to extend antennas on cables and get much better signal - but still I'm not sure if it's done correctly. Cables are cheap compared to aiMesh :)
Yet again - I don't want to change antennas yet.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!