What's new

[RT-AC68] Atium Bead for you to burn

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Since my time will be quite limited in the next couple of days for development I figured I might as well publish this test release for people to poke at during that time. So, I uploaded a 374.35-alpha3 build to Mediafire for the RT-AC68U. Lots of changes here mostly coming from the merge with 374_339.

Merge with 374_339, with all that entails: Time Machine support, more stable wifi performance... Since Asus's implementation of OpenVPN had a quite different webui, the two of them had to be merged into a new one.

Revamped OpenVPN interface. The new interface is a merge between my old one and Asus's new one. I kept Asus's new VPN Server and VPN Details pages, which combine OpenVPN and PPTP together. One change was that I moved the previous option that allowed you to enable/disable individual OpenVPN server instances into the main VPN page, where Asus has put the same switch for PPTP.

Asus's VPN client page was kept, except that their OpenVPN client UI was disabled, and I kept my advanced webui page. One change there was that I integrated Asus's option that allows you to import your .ovpn client config file on that page.

I also kept for now my VPN Status page, but this one might get reworked at some point.

Last point for OpenVPN: I kept the support for two server and two client instances like before. I considered dropping to just one instance to make things simpler, but looking at the code I suspect that Asus hasn't decided yet either whether to support both instances or just one. So I spent some time in finalizing what needed to be finalized in their code to make both instances usable. That's why you can now chose which instance you are dealing with on the main VPN Server page.

Asus's brute force protection on the web server has been disabled. That functionality is kinda broke, since anything on your LAN that keeps poking your router on port 80 will end up causing it to lock you out. Ideally, the brute force protection should ensure that the connection attempt at least provides a username and a password, to prove that this isn't just random port 80 probing.

A few other things were changed: Namecheap DDNS support was added (patch provided by saintdev), NAT Loopback with CTF enabled was fixed, and a few issues from 374_34 were also fixed, like the UPnP port configuration on the WAN page.

Parts I need poked at:

General stability. Ensure that no new bug was introduced by the big merge involved with 374_339.

OpenVPN, both server and client, webui and its functionality. There's over a week of work on this part alone, but there might still be some issues left.

NAT loopback and port forward with HW acceleration enabled. To make sure that the kernel fix didn't break anything else.

That's about it. People often say "don't break anything" after handing you a new toy, but that doesn't apply in this case.

Remember: this is an ALPHA build. Be prepared to flash back to a more stable version if you run into any major stability issue.

There's still no ETA about a final 374.35 release. There are some parts of this build which I ain't satisfied with yet, so there's still some development left to be done.

Last edited:
wifi performance(2.4Ghz) is same with 374_339. something it's even better. ;)

thx.

EDIT(append) //

Firewall - Off
URL Filter - Off
Keyward Filter - Off
Network Service Filter - Off
IP6 Firewall - Off
QoS - Off
NAT Hardware Acc - On.

stange. nat loopback is working, but speed is like hw acc off.. around 200MBps.

Last edited:
wifi performance(2.4Ghz) is same with 374_339. something it's even better. ;)

thx.

EDIT(append) //

Firewall - Off
URL Filter - Off
Keyward Filter - Off
Network Service Filter - Off
IP6 Firewall - Off
QoS - Off
NAT Hardware Acc - On.

stange. nat loopback is working, but speed is like hw acc off.. around 200MBps.

Go to Tools -> Sysinfo page and confirm that HW acceleration is indeed enabled. It should report there if anything is forcing it to be disabled.

HW acceleration was working properly for me, I was able to hit 930 Mbits between LAN and WAN.

As a first time Merlin user I thought I'd start with an Alpha build - installed now looking forward very much to understanding the firmware and playing with it.

Thank you Merlin.

Are there any plans for the Time Machine support in RT-N66U?

I can't. Time Machine requires a new version of the (closed-source) ufsd driver, which requires Asus to pay Paragon for a new license with HFS+ support for these older routers. At this time it's not in the plan, unless if maybe they get an overwhelming amount of requests for it.

Indeed turbo mode doesn't work. I have used the utility tool to overclock DDR. Nice upload Merlin.:p
I am pretty sure that Merlin said the DDR overclocking utility kills Turbo Mode. I am not bothering with either until the other issues with the AC68U are resolved and it is a more stable platform.

No luck in my environment on 35_alpha3 testing wireless only.

5.4 GHz almost non-existing. It comes and goes. I spent a lot of time
resetting and clearing and all over again...
2.0 GHz the best out of all firmwares. Really good.

No feedback. I was just wondering Atium Misting or full Mistborn?

Mistborn. Not wasting something so valuable on mere Misting, sorry.

No luck in my environment on 35_alpha3 testing wireless only.

5.4 GHz almost non-existing. It comes and goes. I spent a lot of time
resetting and clearing and all over again...
2.0 GHz the best out of all firmwares. Really good.

One or multiple 5 GHz devices? Tried both low-numbered and high-numbered channels?

upgraded from .339 to alpha3 and here are my observations in the last hour:

-for whatever reason, my USB disk is no longer detectable (regardless of what setting USB 3.0 interference is on)
-performance on wifi seems quicker (no quantifiable benchmarks, but local network transfers are faster)

Status
Not open for further replies.