What's new

RT-AC68 randomly died?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sumanji

New Around Here
Hi All,

It looks like my RT-AC68W has randomly died :( it was being used as an AIMesh node with my RT-AX86U (main router) and has been fine for a few months. Prior to that it was used as a main router for many years.

Now it seems to power on fine, but is stuck with a few of the LEDs on (LAN ports and WAN ports). Nothing flashes, the lights are just stuck on as soon as I power up. I've tried both soft and hard resets, but nothing seems to work. Also tried using a different power adapter but the same thing happens. I assume it is dead at this point (sad!), but please let me know if there's any way to rescue it...!

Cheers,

Su

can you log into it ?
Keep factory resetting it - maybe 5-6 times.
Let it sit over night. Try again.
Is the power adapter from another identical unit or has at least the same output V and Amps ?

To clarify the 'let it sit overnight' step above, be sure you fully unplug everything from the router and the AC wall plug and leave the power button in the 'On' position after pressing it a few times with the power plug removed first. Now, leave it overnight (or longer).

Hi,

Thanks for the replies - here's what I've tried doing so far:
  • Attempted reset using the tiny button on the back (soft reset) - nothing happens, LEDs stay lit as in the pic above
  • Attempted reset using the WPS button method (hard reset) - nothing happens, LEDs stay lit
  • Changed power adapter (exact same Asus-branded power brick, same specs)- nothing happens, LEDs stay lit
I can't log in or interact with it in any way - my main router says the node is disconnected. When I try to connect my PC directly to it via Ethernet, it doesn't even register a connection has been made...

I will try and leave it overnight and see what happens, but feels like something inside is very dead :(

Cheers,

Su

Try (much) more than once to get into rescue mode. Vary the time you're holding down the buttons.

It isn't easy getting into rescue mode even on good hardware.

Once in, be sure to not interrupt the flash, up to an hour or more for certain models.

Thanks @L&LD, I shall persevere... must admit though, I had a moment of weakness and just ordered an AX86S to replace it (had a Best Buy voucher burning a whole in my pocket). Oh well, if I get it working again, I guess that's an added bonus.