What's new

RT-AC68U - 380.69_2 - 5Ghz Range Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darknessmonk

New Around Here
First of all, i would like to thanks for this wonderful project. I don't know if this was reported already (searched but couldn't find anything) but since the .69_2 flashing i've lost some range on my 5Ghz. After i've reverted to 380.69, everything went back to normal again.

Edit: Started to have troubles again on 380.69. Went to .68 and everything looks fine again.

Last edited:
First of all, i would like to thanks for this wonderful project. I don't know if this was reported already (searched but couldn't find anything) but since the .69_2 flashing i've lost some range on my 5Ghz. After i've reverted to 380.69, everything went back to normal again.

There's been zero change to wifi in 380.69_2, the driver has been last changed back in June 2017.

There's been zero change to wifi in 380.69_2, the driver has been last changed back in June 2017.

Guess i went ahead of myself there. Before i flashed the .69, i flashed the .68 and everything was fine again. I went back to the .69 to check if the problem was on the 69_2 or on the 69_0. Made some range tests with two cellphones and a notebook and everything looked out fine and created the thread. But my wife (who noticed the problem before me) started complaining again about the wifi range. Re-flashed .68 and looks ok right now. That makes more sense? I'm sorry for the confusion.

Edit: And thanks for the fast answer @RMerlin!

Guess i went ahead of myself there. Before i flashed the .69, i flashed the .68 and everything was fine again. I went back to the .69 to check if the problem was on the 69_2 or on the 69_0. Made some range tests with two cellphones and a notebook and everything looked out fine and created the thread. But my wife (who noticed the problem before me) started complaining again about the wifi range. Re-flashed .68 and looks ok right now. That makes more sense? I'm sorry for the confusion.

Edit: And thanks for the fast answer @RMerlin!

That model's wireless driver was last changed in 380.67.

Try changing the 5 Ghz channel, even if it's just to temporarily change to another channel then back to what you currently use. I've had similar issues in the past and changing the channel seemed to kick it in the butt to work properly. And if you are using Auto channel, don't IMHO.

Is there an issue with using 2.4GHz? Like oversaturated appt building or something? Otherwise switch to that and you will have better range. For the 5Ghz and modemboy said, maybe every time you flash the "auto" channel is switching which could cause slight performance differences especially if you have other 5Ghz networks nearby on nearby channels.

When I was in an appartment I had the 5G on a separate SSID so I could force devices to use it, the 2.4Ghz was too noisy outside of 10ft from the router. Now that I'm in a house I put both 2G and 5G on the same SSID so its easier for users, and the device can decide which one to connect to. Most devices that are further away pick the 2.4G due to the better range.

That model's wireless driver was last changed in 380.67.
Strange, because reverting to the .68 surely fixed my problem.

Try changing the 5 Ghz channel, even if it's just to temporarily change to another channel then back to what you currently use. I've had similar issues in the past and changing the channel seemed to kick it in the butt to work properly. And if you are using Auto channel, don't IMHO.
Thanks, i'm going to try this one. I'm using Auto channel for now. What is the problem with Auto channel?

Is there an issue with using 2.4GHz? Like oversaturated appt building or something? Otherwise switch to that and you will have better range. For the 5Ghz and modemboy said, maybe every time you flash the "auto" channel is switching which could cause slight performance differences especially if you have other 5Ghz networks nearby on nearby channels.

When I was in an appartment I had the 5G on a separate SSID so I could force devices to use it, the 2.4Ghz was too noisy outside of 10ft from the router. Now that I'm in a house I put both 2G and 5G on the same SSID so its easier for users, and the device can decide which one to connect to. Most devices that are further away pick the 2.4G due to the better range.

Yeah, i live in a somewhat big app and there's a TON of other routers. That why i've bought a dual channel router in the first place: to use the 5Ghz, since my app isn't that big. The problem with using the same SSID for the two signals is that some equipment doesn't behave well (like LG's Smart TVs) and the ones that do, usually stick with the best connection (in that case, it will be almost always the 2Ghz one).

When I was in an apartment I ended up getting a Netgear range extender ex6200 and setup the back haul to only use the 5ghz channel. I broadcast both 2g and 5g. I kept the two bands on separate SSIDs as you have. That was the only way I could get a connection in the furthest room. Now I'm in a house with 3x the sqft and I don't even need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using Auto channel for now. What is the problem with Auto channel?

In my experience it rarely picks the optimal channel and any time it decides to switch channels you'll have a wifi drop. Also when in a crowded wifi environment you have a higher chance of it switching often. IMHO the best thing to do is grab a wifi analyzer app for your phone, see what channels look best in your typical usage area, and just manually set those channels.