What's new

RT-AC68U 5gHz speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

balcy24

Occasional Visitor
I have been running Merlin 35_4 since its release (thanks RMerlin!) with no problems. Yesterday, my AC link speed was jumping all over the place, going from the normal 866.7 Mbps down to ~6 Mbps with the Internet dropping. inSSIDer showed the signal going from -25 dBm to under -70 dBm almost like a sinus wave (up for a few seconds, then down for the same amount of time). My router is ~4 ft from my laptop which is running an Intel 7260 wireless card. Today, inSSIDer shows my 5.2 GHz connection at a steady -25 dBm but the link speed is still jumping all over the place. Does anyone have any ideas? I am the only one in my neighborhood running AC so interference doesn't seem to be an issue. My 2.6 GHz signal is a steady -31 dBm from the same distance. I tried rebooting the router and nothing shows up in the router log.

Last edited:
I have been running Merlin 35_4 since its release (thanks RMerlin!) with no problems. Yesterday, my AC link speed was jumping all over the place, going from the normal 866.7 Mbps down to ~6 Mbps with the Internet dropping. inSSIDer showed the signal going from -25 dBm to under -70 dBm almost like a sinus wave (up for a few seconds, then down for the same amount of time). My router is ~4 ft from my laptop which is running an Intel 7260 wireless card. Today, inSSIDer shows my 5.2 GHz connection at a steady -25 dBm but the link speed is still jumping all over the place. Does anyone have any ideas? I am the only one in my neighborhood running AC so interference doesn't seem to be an issue. My 2.6 GHz signal is a steady -31 dBm from the same distance. I tried rebooting the router and nothing shows up in the router log.
You are thinking of a sine wave. A sinus wave is the signal generated by the electrical activity of the heart. That has a very steep upslope with an extended plateau phase and then a rapid downslope with a brief period of reverse polarity before returning to baseline. A sine wave is seen from the alternating current that powers almost everything electrical. The symmetrical reversing of polarity results from the magnetic armature as it rotates inside a coil of metal wire.

If the signal level is varying a lot in a short period of time then I wonder if it wouldn't be a hardware issue.

One thing you can try is to completely turn off the router for 30 secs (not just reboot it, but cut off the power from it) and see if that hardware reset helps.

If not, try disabling the Beamforming options, in case it might not be fully compatible with your clients.

If the signal level is varying a lot in a short period of time then I wonder if it wouldn't be a hardware issue.

One thing you can try is to completely turn off the router for 30 secs (not just reboot it, but cut off the power from it) and see if that hardware reset helps.

If not, try disabling the Beamforming options, in case it might not be fully compatible with your clients.

I had disabled beamforming over a week ago and it helped for a while (several days). I tried powering down for a min and rebooted but no change. I then went into the wireless 5 GHz settings and changed wireless mode from auto to n + ac and so far so good in case others have similar issues.

Happy Holidays!
Dave

I had disabled beamforming over a week ago and it helped for a while (several days). I tried powering down for a min and rebooted but no change. I then went into the wireless 5 GHz settings and changed wireless mode from auto to n + ac and so far so good in case others have similar issues.

Update: I found the culprit. I noticed when my wife was on the cordless phone my link speed dropped to almost nil. My cordless phone is a Uniden 5.8 GHz which interfered with the router. I replaced the phone with a DECT 6.0 now all is well even with beamforming turned on. If others have flaky 5 GHz check your phone!