What's new

[RT-AC68U] 5Ghz WiFi internet inconsistent download - upload fine

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vlatko

New Around Here
Hi,

in advance I should say I'm no expert so if I mix up some terms or say something which doesn't make sense, bare with me. I will try and explain my issue as thoroughly as possible.

I am on a FTTH 200/100 mbps connection. I purchased this router(RT-AC68U) a few months ago to replace RT-AC1200G+(which had reboot issues) as it was generally recommended as a good option for AC wifi. Beside the reboot issue, the router(RT-AC1200G+) performed flawlessly on 5Ghz wifi - both upload and download were stable and never dipping below 200/100 mbps, be it on speedtests or downloading from fast servers. The speeds were always 100% consistent.

The RT-AC68U is giving me problems however. The router is directly connected to my ISP ONT. On LAN the speeds are at 100% every single time so that leads me to believe there's nothing wrong on my ISP side of things. But I purchased this router to get 200/100 on all my devices - because they are all portable/wireless. The firmware on the router is latest Merlin firmware. I have tried a number of factory resets on the router and the settings is all stock - except my PPOE username/password and VLAN tag(100) for internet.

The issue is this; I can run speedtest 20 times per day and and most of the times my download will be different - 230 mbps, 160 mbps, 110 mbps and even around 60 mbps - but the upload is ALWAYS at 100 mbps(even higher). The same goes when actually downloading files(from a really fast cloud server) - whereas with my old router(RT-AC1200G+) the download speed would NEVER dip below 22-23 MB/s, with the RT-AC68U it is completely inconsistent between 7-8 MB/s to 25 MB/s. I ran speedtest on both my phones and laptop. It is really driving me crazy as for all intents and purposes - it should be the other way around when it comes to these 2 routers.

All my devices(Asus G771JW, Sony PS4, Xiaomi Mi5, Sony Xperia Z3) are connected to the 5Gh/z wifi. All the wifi settings are stock Merlin firmware values. If Android WIFI analyzer app is to be trusted there's no other 5Gh/z networks anywhere near me. I have a small apartment(50 m2) and the tests were done in the same room as the router - the distances can be measured in centimeters, so the distance between the router and the clients is definitely not an issue.

Things I have tried:

Router factory reset
Power off ONT and router for a few minutes
Changed ethernet cable between ONT and router
ASUS G771JW - fresh install of Win 10 (but I found my phones were also getting inconsistent speeds so that was probably for nothing)
Changed my wifi password - also probably for nothing

Is there anything else I can try to fix my issue? I know Merlin firmware is powerful but I'm not knowledgeable enough to tinker all these settings by myseld. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!