1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC68U: AIProtection vs. separate pfsense box?

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by Phil Perucci, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Phil Perucci

Phil Perucci New Around Here

Sorry for the newbie question, but I always ass-u-med that NAT "security by obscurity" was sufficient for my needs...
    ...while I have my router "locked-down" per the checks under AIProtection (all green), I've noticed that I'm getting external "hits" almost daily, from a MAC address I don't recognize (lookup indicates it is an Arris device). It seems like the experts often use pfsense, and I hear more about things like Cujo and Bitdefender Box 2 these days.

I'd like to think, in my Utopian World, that ASUS (Trend Micro) AI Protection has me covered, but I do wonder if pfsense would be safer (if I "hunker down" and learn it). I don't think pfsense "calls home" like Trend Micro does, which makes me wonder if pfsense is really better; but again, I'm a newbie to really locking-down security.

Note: I don't have any ports open; I only use my broadband connection (Comcast) for internet access originating from inside the house.

2. maxbraketorque

maxbraketorque Senior Member

If you have no open ports, I don't see how pfsense will be of any use. Is UPNP disabled on your router as well?

3. Phil Perucci

Phil Perucci New Around Here

I just double-checked; UPnP is disabled. In fact, all checks under AIProtection “Router Security Assessment” are green.