What's new

RT-AC68U: AIProtection vs. separate pfsense box?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phil Perucci

New Around Here
Sorry for the newbie question, but I always butt-u-med that NAT "security by obscurity" was sufficient for my needs...
...while I have my router "locked-down" per the checks under AIProtection (all green), I've noticed that I'm getting external "hits" almost daily, from a MAC address I don't recognize (lookup indicates it is an Arris device). It seems like the experts often use pfsense, and I hear more about things like Cujo and Bitdefender Box 2 these days.

I'd like to think, in my Utopian World, that ASUS (Trend Micro) AI Protection has me covered, but I do wonder if pfsense would be safer (if I "hunker down" and learn it). I don't think pfsense "calls home" like Trend Micro does, which makes me wonder if pfsense is really better; but again, I'm a newbie to really locking-down security.

Note: I don't have any ports open; I only use my broadband connection (Comcast) for internet access originating from inside the house.

If you have no open ports, I don't see how pfsense will be of any use. Is UPNP disabled on your router as well?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!