1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC68U and Bridge Mode

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by EventPhotoMan, Jul 19, 2018.

1. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Senior Member

with the latest firmware on art-ac68u , I could not connect my router in brydge mode to my router gateway.

I tried resetting, and then back to brydge mode, not connection to the router using 5g

Reverted back to stock firmware from Asus and it connected well.

Just thought I’d report it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  2. kfp

kfp Very Senior Member

Which is the ‘latest’? There are alphas and betas and it might also confuse people reading this in the future, so it’s good to use exact numbers.

3. EventPhotoMan

I don’t use betas. But yes, I should have said.

4. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

5. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

recent version, lol
    asume 384.5_0 if you read between the lines ...

6. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Indeed. But as kfp pointed out, that doesn't help people reading this in the future if Merlin has subsequently released an updated firmware.

7. EventPhotoMan

Yes 384.5

8. EventPhotoMan

Boy you guys can really get nasty

9. kfp

kfp Very Senior Member

I don’t get why you’re upset just because people asked you to clarify your question.

FWIW, I’ve had some issues with bridge mode on 68U with 384.5 (it’ll connect fine, but if main router changes wireless settings I will have a kernel panic on the bridge)

I’ve since then been using John’s fork on 68U and it’s been pretty stable/uneventful.

indark and EventPhotoMan like this.
  10. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

SORRY that there is no button for DISLIKE !!!

Just think who spends a lot of their spare time for your questions for free and this is your thank ...:mad:

11. EventPhotoMan

First of all it’s your spare time, you do with it what you want, I never asked you to reply.

But I do appreciate those people who do have interjections

I was just trying to post my findings that others might Find interesting or assist them

12. EventPhotoMan

There is an much to do with a router that is in bridge mode, so frankly there type of firmware that is installed on it doesn’t really have much bearing in my opinion

What I am disappointed about in the firmware is its ability to change parameters in bridge mode. For instance if I want to change from 2.4 MHz to 5 MHz, I have to go through the whole set up again what I am disappointed about in the firmware is its ability to change parameters in bridge mode. For instance if I want to change from 2.4 MHz to 5 MHz, I have to go through the whole set up again Changing the SS ID that connects to also is a issue

Does anyone know if the router in bridge mode only connects to one SS ID with the same MAC address all the time?

I have three access points broadcasting the same SS ID on different channels, the bridge is currently connected to one of them. If this access point happens to go down, I’m wondering if the bridge will find another channel with the same SS ID

Almost sounds like a mesh system

13. Sanna1967

Sanna1967 Senior Member

Your not alone! ;)
    Yes this problem was introduced with Aimess in version 384. I have the same problem with my second RT1900p since that time. Many times this problem has been reported on Asuswrt-official, and more it does not seem to affect everyone . This problem is present in the official version of Asus, not only on 384.X (merlin).
    For my part, I decided to put my bridge on the 380.70 version, and everything works very well.And when 380.70 will become really over, i'll flash the bridge with LTS Fork from john9527

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  14. EventPhotoMan

Has anyone connected a bridge using both 5 and 2.4?

Then again, if speed was an issue, I would get a different router with better throuput

15. indark

indark Regular Contributor

bridge mode works for my ac68u on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, and no issue to connect it to my ac3100.

swaping between both official and merlin, both fine for me.

no issue for the speed either.

on 2.4Ghz, tx/rx speed is 450M, 5Ghz it's 1300M, according to the wireless log on my ac3100.

assuming you did not fat finger the password (which happens to me a lot, so i always show password ;p)
    if you never perform power cycle n nvram clear, maybe give that a shot. I found it to solve weird issue when weird stuff still happen after factory reset.

it does take longer to get to the webui of the media bridge compare to the older firmware, but no big deal for me.

kfp likes this.
  16. EventPhotoMan

Thanks. I tried server times with Merlin. Just in case it was a typo in the password.

I get 1300 mbps also with the rt-ac68u connected to my rt-ac86u gateway/router