What's new

RT-AC68U and ROKU issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

caferacer73

New Around Here
Just got the RT-AC68U to replace a crappy TP-Link. I got everything setup correctly, but I'm having an issue with my Roku. The problem is when trying to watch Netflix. It will start a video and then stop playing. It says there's a problem with the network connections. I've checked the network connections and they are fine (I even redid the connection - running my Roku on WiFi). I've even rebooted it a couple of times.

Has anyone experienced anything like this and what did you do to fix it?

Just got the RT-AC68U to replace a crappy TP-Link. I got everything setup correctly, but I'm having an issue with my Roku. The problem is when trying to watch Netflix. It will start a video and then stop playing. It says there's a problem with the network connections. I've checked the network connections and they are fine (I even redid the connection - running my Roku on WiFi). I've even rebooted it a couple of times.

Has anyone experienced anything like this and what did you do to fix it?

Maybe disable Wireless\Professional\Airtime Fairness.

OE

The Airtime Fairness wasn't the issue. I decided to start over and review what I had done to the router during the initial setup. Every other device in the household worked fine except for the Roku. What was different about it? Then is dawned on me, I had setup Time Scheduling for it very early in the process. So that had to be it. I deleted the schedule and the Roku connected as it normally should.

So why would it not connect when it was in the "allowed" hours on the schedule? Did something happen when I was setting it up and then made other changes to the router? Who knows? Is the Time Schedule on of this "reverse logic" where the "allow" time is really the "blocked" time? Are streaming devices handled differently that other devices? What I want to do is have the Roku blocked from 1am until 7am everyday. It shouldn't be that hard to do.

What's weird is I tried playing with the Time Scheduling for another device earlier in the day and it worked exactly as it should. I wanted it turned off during 2pm & 3pm. The WiFi for that devices was shut off instantly, so I know this should work.

The Airtime Fairness wasn't the issue. I decided to start over and review what I had done to the router during the initial setup. Every other device in the household worked fine except for the Roku. What was different about it? Then is dawned on me, I had setup Time Scheduling for it very early in the process. So that had to be it. I deleted the schedule and the Roku connected as it normally should.

So why would it not connect when it was in the "allowed" hours on the schedule? Did something happen when I was setting it up and then made other changes to the router? Who knows? Is the Time Schedule on of this "reverse logic" where the "allow" time is really the "blocked" time? Are streaming devices handled differently that other devices? What I want to do is have the Roku blocked from 1am until 7am everyday. It shouldn't be that hard to do.

What's weird is I tried playing with the Time Scheduling for another device earlier in the day and it worked exactly as it should. I wanted it turned off during 2pm & 3pm. The WiFi for that devices was shut off instantly, so I know this should work.

Thanks for letting us know what it was!

OE

I don't know the Roku as I have an AppleTV which is Ethernet attached. Anyway, I installed a speed test app on my AppleTV. I was wondering if you could do the same on your Roku. This could help you in the future.

As a side note: I had AT&T internet at 24Mbps and Netflix would once and a while claim poor network connection. In June I installed Spectrum internet at 200Mbps. Netflix hasn't complained since and I get better quality movies as Netflix will lower picture quality if it thinks there is a slow connection.

I think my thought logic was wrong when I originally set up the parental control. I was thinking that "allow" was allowing access, but in router reality, "allow" means "allow to block" and "deny" means "deny to block". There is a difference between the web interface and the phone app of how this is looked at. I think the phone app is setup better in regards to the parental controls; pick the time block you want to block...done.

Hmm, just checked the parental controls I set up on my phone app. It's blocking during the time period I want. Then pulled it up on the web interface and it's showing "deny" as "deny access" and "allow" as "allow access". Not what I was thinking in the paragraph above.

I guess it doesn't matter how it works as long as it does what I need it to do.

Last edited:
Well crap. It seems that no matter how I setup the Parental controls, the router blocks my Roku when I want to watch it. All I want to do is block it from 1am to 7am. I've tried numerous ways to to block it, but the end result is always the same, blocked when I want it to be active.

Are streaming devices treated differently?

Well crap. It seems that no matter how I setup the Parental controls, the router blocks my Roku when I want to watch it. All I want to do is block it from 1am to 7am. I've tried numerous ways to to block it, but the end result is always the same, blocked when I want it to be active.

I would use only the MAC address. How about changing the NTP server to time.google.com .

Is it a Roku2 (I think) with RF Remote? That Roku is said to interfere with local WiFi by broadcasting WiFi Direct for its Remote on the same WiFi channel and at a higher power... so that its RF Remote WiFi is guaranteed to interfere. Probably not it.

OE

It's a Roku 3. I was able to block it with an old D-Link router (needed to upgrade this since it had very slow WiFi).

Is it a Roku2 (I think) with RF Remote? That Roku is said to interfere with local WiFi by broadcasting WiFi Direct for its Remote on the same WiFi channel and at a higher power... so that its RF Remote WiFi is guaranteed to interfere. Probably not it.

OE
Not sure if this is the issue or the remedy but perhaps worth a try:
“Here are the instructions to fix it.
  1. Start up the Roku and get to the home screen.
  2. Press these 10 buttons quickly: HOME-HOME-HOME-HOME-HOME-FFWD-PLAY-REWIND-PLAY-FFWD
  3. Select “Wireless Secret Screen” from the menu choices
  4. Select “Interference” from the menu choices
  5. Choose “None””

check the system timer on the ac68u to see if it's properly configured?
you will be able to see it @ systemlog

As a side note: I had AT&T internet at 24Mbps and Netflix would once and a while claim poor network connection. In June I installed Spectrum internet at 200Mbps. Netflix hasn't complained since and I get better quality movies as Netflix will lower picture quality if it thinks there is a slow connection.

Hint on Netflix - log into your Netflix account on your PC...

Under the account preferences, you'll find a selection for bandwidth - choose the one best for your WAN connection (or one lower if your ISP has a monthly cap)

Watch out for Auto if you have a bandwidth cap...

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 4.13.55 PM.png

This actually can get better video quality these days - as they do adaptive transcoding for each session.

Last edited:
So Asus is assigning some tech people to try to replicate my issue. I have to provide a copy of my settings and logs for them to dig through. Hopefully they can duplicate it and come up with a solution.

Any updates.....I started having the same issue with but only after updating to the latest Firmware! Version 3.0.0.4.384_32799 introduced the problem for me.

I finally heard back from them after they had some engineers look at my settings, log files, etc. I used steps 1 & 2 listed below. I wasn't able to do step 3 (my Roku didn't show up on the MAC list) and didn't bother with step 4 since steps 1 & 2 worked. For the parental controls time schedule, I did a test before I setup the full schedule. I was working on this yesterday afternoon, so I allowed it to be online from 12pm - 2pm and then blocked from 2pm - 3pm. So I was able to steam from Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime Video during the allowed time. At 2pm, internet access was blocked, which finally worked the way I wanted it. So I went ahead and setup my full schedule and so far it has worked (shut off from 1am - 7am). Hopefully this works for you. If it doesn't, contact Asus support.

1) Please try following step 8 on the FAQ: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1011703/ for setting up a fixed LAN IP for the roku device then set up the parental option again.

2) [AiProtection] How to set Parental Control? https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1008720/

3) Setting up the MAC filter for the client, FAQ: https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1000904

4) Other option might help is to enable "Enable Reboot Scheduler" option about 1 minute before the the time scheduling is in effect. (GUI > Administration > System)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!