RT-AC68U as AiMesh node cuts half LAN speed

  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Oleksandr

New Around Here
Hi All.
I have two devices AiMesh setup with stock firmware (upgraded to the latest version) - AX88U as the main router and AC68U as a node. There is wired connection between them.
The device connected to the main router shows ~920 Mbits/sec in iperf3 test.
The same device connected to the node shows ~460 Mbits/sec.

Tried different options: node reset, whole system reset, disabled QoS, disabled Jumbo Frame, disabled firewall and AiProtection - did not help.
As temporary (I believe) solution I am using the cheapest 1Gb switch from aliexpress for wired connections (gives me ~900 Mbits/sec) and AC68U plugged-in to this switch for wireless connections only.

Thank you for any help.
 

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Welcome to the forums @Oleksandr.

How are you running the iperf3 tests? What is the device on the other end and how is it connected?

Have you tried a new Ethernet cable between the two routers and between the node and the testing device?

If you're using a mobile device to do the iperf3 testing with, is it plugged into AC power at both testing locations?

How methodical were you when testing after doing a full reset on your network? Maybe the following may help you see what you may improve when doing a full reset.

Fully Reset Router and Network
 

follower

Senior Member
Hi All.
I have two devices AiMesh setup with stock firmware (upgraded to the latest version) - AX88U as the main router and AC68U as a node. There is wired connection between them.
The device connected to the main router shows ~920 Mbits/sec in iperf3 test.
The same device connected to the node shows ~460 Mbits/sec.

Tried different options: node reset, whole system reset, disabled QoS, disabled Jumbo Frame, disabled firewall and AiProtection - did not help.
As temporary (I believe) solution I am using the cheapest 1Gb switch from aliexpress for wired connections (gives me ~900 Mbits/sec) and AC68U plugged-in to this switch for wireless connections only.

Thank you for any help.
UTP Cable or RJ45 Plug issue. Cheap cables and RJ45 make this kind of issue a lot.
 

Oleksandr

New Around Here
Welcome to the forums @Oleksandr.

How are you running the iperf3 tests? What is the device on the other end and how is it connected?

Have you tried a new Ethernet cable between the two routers and between the node and the testing device?

If you're using a mobile device to do the iperf3 testing with, is it plugged into AC power at both testing locations?

How methodical were you when testing after doing a full reset on your network? Maybe the following may help you see what you may improve when doing a full reset.

Fully Reset Router and Network
Hello L&LD.
The iperf3 server is running on Asustor device which connected to the main router with two cables and link aggregation enabled (tried without link aggregation and one cable - the result is the same).
Of course I tried to use manufactured short cables and got the same result. Also I tried different new cable between main router and node - no difference. Wifi tests gives similar speed ~400 mbits/sec on node and ~700 mbits/sec when connected to main router (the device supports AX). Resets I did with buttons on the routers.
 

Oleksandr

New Around Here
UTP Cable or RJ45 Plug issue. Cheap cables and RJ45 make this kind of issue a lot.
Hello follower.
Cables were the first think I checked. Also there were tests using short cables from routers and NAS packages.
As I mentioned as a temporary solution I am using Mercusys MS105G switch connected to the main router and then to the device. The also node connected to the same switch for WiFi clients only.
This setup shows (same cable):
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.08 GBytes 930 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.08 GBytes 930 Mbits/sec receiver

The same I am expecting to get without switch. But it gives:
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 566 MBytes 474 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 566 MBytes 474 Mbits/sec receiver
 

Oleksandr

New Around Here
Have received CAT6 patch cords to test the hypothesis that my CAT5e wires are not working correctly. Also upgraded the node to 3.0.0.4.386_43137. Tried several resets of node and then main router and node. The issue still there - the LAN and AC WiFi speed is ~400 Mbits/sec. Now I am confident that my wires are fine.
Continue using the switch between nodes and devices to have 1Gb LAN (0.5Gb for WiFi is fine).
Please let me know if anyone has any other suggestion to try. Thanks.
 

L&LD

Part of the Furniture

Similar threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top