What's new

RT-AC68U Clean firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mbsurfer70

Occasional Visitor
I've asus (AC68U) firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45149 and trying to update to Version 3.0.0.4.385.20433
How do you update the router manually, script? How can I run script on the GUI? What steps do I need to take after updating?

Last edited:
I understand the process using the router gui, but the router won't update that way anymore. Also, it appears that faq only has instructions for manually updating the aimesh routers

I understand the process using the router gui, but the router won't update that way anymore. Also, it appears that faq only has instructions for manually updating the aimesh routers

Your 68U is an AiMesh router whether you add a node to it or not.

OE

Last edited:
No, :cool:. It's apparent I must do the ^reset. I did reboot the physical router after flashing the updated firmware, but alas; to no avail my mvram has the potential for corruption. Just learned that I can't just boot and then load the settings I had from the prior firmware (which I suspected :(). Thanks for the point to that reset. Also, is it recommended to reboot once more after applying new settings following the ^reset?

Also, is it recommended to reboot once more after applying new settings following the ^reset?

The Reset/webUI Restore clears settings in NVRAM (a reboot then restores defaults from CFE).

The WebUI Restore w/Initialize
also clears logged data in the /jffs folder.

Both are resets that include a reboot.

I do like to power cycle/reboot the router after firmware install/reset/configuration and then test the router firewall using Shields UP! to scan the router WAN interface/ports. It's come back OPEN once on me, so I redid everything to fix it.

OE

Reset only if the router is not working properly after the update. No need to reset just because someone does it all the time.

OP wants a "clean" upgrade from 3.0.0.4.384_45149 to 3.0.0.4.385.20433. That is a significant version change.

The referenced Asus FAQ on how to install their router firmware advises to reset afterward.

The referenced NVRAM and Factory Default Reset FAQ explains why.

Whether you reset or not only matters to your network users.

OE

Last edited:
The Reset/webUI Restore clears settings in NVRAM (a reboot then restores defaults from CFE).

The WebUI Restore w/Initialize
also clears logged data in the /jffs folder.

Both are resets that include a reboot.

I do like to power cycle/reboot the router after firmware install/reset/configuration and then test the router firewall using Shields UP! to scan the router WAN interface/ports. It's come back OPEN once on me, so I redid everything to fix it.

OE
Thanks for the tip to test firewall. Guess that’s something I should’ve done when I set up the router as my AP

OE
So when I see the listed IP addresses from Shields Up! in the firewall log, I know that the router firewall should be functioning?

I've never looked at those. I just look at the Shields Up! results after it scans all (first 1000) service ports. Should be all Stealth. May not be a most exhaustive or thorough test, but it feels good! :)

OE

what about the log when not using NAT?
Also, if the router firmware corrupted, then couldn’t the firewall stop working?

Is this router the only one on your network? With NAT disabled your devices won't have Internet access.
The firmware doesn't go bad over time. If your router as hardware doesn't work properly you'll have to replace it. Do you have a reason to believe something is not working properly on your router?

It’s the only router on my network. Understood about the hardware. Also, no reason it shouldn’t be working, though I did restore the same settings I had from the old firmware with loaded settings

@Mbsurfer70 seems to me that is exactly why you're having issues. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!